Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Build Progress
4 Pi Build Progress [message #81462] Sat, 18 July 2015 23:04 Go to next message
BobTahoe is currently offline  BobTahoe
Baron
Finally got started on my build over a year later, more pics to come soon.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1755&private=0

This picture is just a quick dry fit of the first of 3 boxes. I should have it mostly glued together soon. I started putting the first port together and realised it's all wrong so i need to recut the mdf for the ports.

More pics to come as progress continues.

Wayne if you see this any chance I can get a the plans for a 3 Pi subwoofer?
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81463 is a reply to message #81462] Sun, 19 July 2015 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Congrats on starting your build!

I'll send plans for the subs right away.

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81465 is a reply to message #81462] Mon, 20 July 2015 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Made some more progress yesterday after going to homedepot to pick up the rest of the MDF. Sadly their panel cutter wasn't working so i ending up having to get 14 2ft x 4ft MDF boards, which was good and bad, Good because it fit in my car and on my small table saw, Bad because i didn't get to use my cut sheet which would have made all the cutting much easier if i could have started with 25" wide sheets not 24"

4pi cut sheet"

index.php?t=getfile&id=1764&private=0

3 pi Subwoofer cut sheet:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1765&private=0

Finished all the major cuts for L C R and 2 flanking subs.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1763&private=0

Panels with bracing, The bracing is glued and pined down using an 18gaugae pin gun with 1 1/4" pins. I used this same method to put together the ports, I'll be gluing and clamping everything together from this point.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1761&private=0

needed to finish 3 4pi's and 2 3pi subwoofers.

Here's a dry fit with all the side bracing in place, will had cross support above the woofer when its all together.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1762&private=0

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81471 is a reply to message #81462] Tue, 21 July 2015 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
What's the best cross over for the flanking subs, I've been searching on the forums and most the links to products I find are old and no longer working.

Here are the options I've found so far:

2 Crown XLS 2000 - Bi-Amp 4pi and 3pi tower
Issue is the cross over is too steep and it will cut off lows to the mains

Rolls SX45 active cross over - 12db Cross over so this is good, has lots of outputs, but if I use the cross over it won't send the full signal to the mains. Unless there is away to use only the sub outputs and leave the cross over Off? or set to 50hz

Dayton Audio Sub Plate amp - To Steep of cross over, High pass outputs don't receive full signal only above the cross over point, I could maybe get by with this if I used the Speaker level out puts from my AVR for the sub and keep the L R speakers on the amp they are on.

MiniDSP 2x4 This might be the best option, Only issue I have is it would have to go between my AVR and EMOTIVA Amp, but this would allow me to run any amp I want with the 3pi subs and give lots of control.

I feel like I'm missing something or thinking about this too much maybe.

How does everyone else get the signal to their flanking subs with out dropping all low frequency's to the mains?

Also I'm having and issue logging into the form, once I login to AudioRoundtable is there a know bug or anything? Basically once I logging with one browser after the session ends it won't let me log back in, even when I launch that same browser as Private/incognito It wont let me login. My work around has been to keep opening new brands of browsers and switching computers. I could try clearing my cache but Private/incongnito should do the same thing.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81472 is a reply to message #81471] Tue, 21 July 2015 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Just to answer my own question, It looks like the Mini DSP 2x4 is really the best and most flexible option, It will allow me to set up stereo subs exactly how I want them, and I can power them with any amp I want another plus.

Now I'm torn between Plate amps, and something like a Crown XLS 2000 for the subs, I guess I just depends if I want to run speaker wire or RCA wires to the subs. I knew I should have ran and extra stereo pair last year when I was running all the other wires for the speakers.

Hopefully after work today I'll have some time to assemble more of the speakers.

Edit: Mini DSP 2x4 and Crown XLS 2000 it is, now all I have to do is finish the cabs before the rest of the parts arrive from Wayne!
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81473 is a reply to message #81472] Wed, 22 July 2015 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I run a couple of Crown xls1500's. I absolutely love them for sub duties. I haven't seen the level of control from a plate amp.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81475 is a reply to message #81473] Wed, 22 July 2015 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Just to let you and anyone else looking know BHPhotovideo.com has the XLS 2000 for $250 right now, the XLS 1500 was $209 so I decided to stick to one amp instead of using 2 bridged amps.

If the XLS 1500s drop anymore I may add 2 and move the XLS 2000 to power the L R channels.

This will be my first time using Pro Audio Amps, read such great things about crowns XLS line I can't wait to test it out.

As for progress, started cutting front baffles last night, using a dremel, it kind of works but I'm going to switch to a router. Just need to finish the baffles and recut 2 of the ports then I can start assembling.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81477 is a reply to message #81475] Thu, 23 July 2015 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Third time's the charm when it came to cutting the boards for the ports. Luckily the smaller cuts where my last cuts, because somewhere between my last large cut and cutting the boards for the ports the rail on the contractor table saw I'm using jumped a tooth and was completely off. Lesson here cheap contractor saws suck. Need a real table saw soon.

Here are the ports, pinned and glued together.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1770&private=0

Now that I have all the bottoms and side ready I'm going to start gluing the boxes together with out fronts and backs as I'm waiting on a router to cut the baffles.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81479 is a reply to message #81477] Thu, 23 July 2015 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Moving right along! Good going!

Sorry for my late response. I've been slammed. Tons of kits in the queue, so sorry for my delay getting those out too. I'm running about 30 days behind. Order today, ship 30 days later. I prefer shipping within a week, but there are just too many orders these days.

As for the subs, most people run plate amps. I see you've gone that route also. Some folks use a MiniDSP, and some use one of the crossovers mentioned in various threads on this forum. But most use plate amps, which kill two birds with one stone: Amp and crossover.

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81481 is a reply to message #81479] Thu, 23 July 2015 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Thanks for the update Wayne, I understand it could take some time to get the finally parts for this build. That gives me time to get these cabs painted up nicely (I Hope).

To power the subs I ended up going the MiniDSP plus rackmount amp, When I ordered it this week I assumed the 3Pi subs were 6ohm Lab12s but latter realized they are 4ohm. The Crown XLS 2000 amp I purchased should be good for 650 watts per channel @ 4 ohm. So I imagine it's a bit more then the 3 pi's need.

Also been considering using a router to round the edges of the cabinets, is there any reason not to do this? My plan is to use a router and corner rounding bit.
Previous Topic: Just Loaded in 4 Pis
Next Topic: Implementation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:35:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout