Home » Audio » Speaker » Attenuating B & C DE250 on Pi horn (using the standard 4Pi crossover in another app.)
Attenuating B & C DE250 on Pi horn [message #81436] Sun, 05 July 2015 15:01 Go to next message
turnitdown is currently offline  turnitdown
Esquire
I finished my 4Pi system this past week and I am very impressed and happy. What a great combo the 2226H and DE250 on your horn make. I have JBL 2235s mounted in exact copies of the B380 and an exact copy of the 4430 LF portion of the crossover. Before I closed up the last 4Pi, I separated the traces on the 4Pi crossover and used the 4Pi HF section with the 4430 LF section. The results were very pleasing, though the HF section is about 6dB hot for the less efficient 2235. If I were to build another 4Pi HF section, exactly what components would I change to accomplish a 6dB lowering of the level to match the LF section? I understand a standard 8ohm rotary L-pad is not satisfactory as it loads(?) the HF section and changes its characteristics. I only know enough to be dangerous, so please be specific. I have seen and understand your attenuation charts, BUT not when your R1 and R2 circuits involve a total of 8 resistors. Thank you for your fine work - and in advance for your answer.
Re: Attenuating B & C DE250 on Pi horn [message #81437 is a reply to message #81436] Mon, 06 July 2015 09:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The attenuation chart gives the right values for R1/R2 at various levels while maintaining the right damping for the crossover. Just use series/parallel resistors to maintain the right values for each position.

An example is using two 20Ω resistors and two 30Ω resistors to make a 25Ω resistor. Or of course four 16Ω resistors in series/parallel make 16Ω total.

Previous Topic: Electrostatic or Electrodynamic?
Next Topic: Hasty mistake
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:21:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout