Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Where could I learn to build amps like these?
Where could I learn to build amps like these? [message #8140] Sat, 20 March 2004 10:47 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is there a tube circuit book for someone who's not quite a *complete* idiot?

Something that progressively explains how a tube is integrated into a circuit (and maybe even more importantly doesn't assume some short-hand schematic that leaves out the power supply and other "standard" bits is sufficient)?

Re: Where could I learn to build amps like these? [message #8141 is a reply to message #8140] Sat, 20 March 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Check out the link below. It's not one of those $25K amp you see on Gordon's site, but it is one of his earlier designs and he does go into quite a bit of detail on circuit description. While Gordon Rankin does sell $25K amps, he's also a strong supporter of DIY community and is quite active on the AA Tube DIY board. This Bugle Amp has got a lot of positive feedback.

As for books, Morgan Jones is highly recommended, but is definately not for beginners. Bruce Rozenblit's Beginner's Guide is excellent for beginners and does not treat you like an idiot.

Not sure if you've come across these two links, but they are very educational. If not everything you need to know to start designing your own amp, you'll at least be able to read and understand most schematics:

http://www.audioxpress.com/resource/audioclass/
http://www.tubecad.com/index_files/page0039.htm

Gar.

Great links. Thanks! [message #8142 is a reply to message #8141] Sun, 21 March 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Great links. Thanks! [message #8143 is a reply to message #8142] Mon, 22 March 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just keep us up to date if you decide to build anything.

Re: Great links. Thanks! [message #8160 is a reply to message #8143] Mon, 26 April 2004 17:03 Go to previous message
APAGAN is currently offline  APAGAN
Esquire
Gentlemen, go for it. I have recently breadboarded the BUGLE (2nd channel up just last Tuesday actually). I am using Electraprint output Xformers. Still using an EICO power supply and a 2.5 Vac NOS Xformer for 45 filament juice. Will be building the power supply in an old hammond chassis in the next week or two. It will remain an outboard affair.
Driving a pair of Silverline Sonatina's in a small room (12 x 10 X 8). Given the sensitivity of the Sonatina's ( a debatable 93 dB, or at least I have seen posted debates over it), I am amazed at the BUGLE's ability to drive them. Even with Dotrati's Beethoven's 5th on Mercury they held there own until the climax at the end. There the peak was just too much of a good thing.

Previous Topic: ElectronValve.com
Next Topic: tube preamp recommendations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 22:33:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout