Home » Audio » General » 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way (my main stereo system)
Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81375 is a reply to message #81302] Thu, 04 June 2015 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Luther, as always a stunning setup that I'm sure sounds superb. I've always admired the DIY stuff you've done. Classy. I wish I had the money and room for such gear, but I'm downsizing tremendously and will be going small for future endeavors.

Wayne, I have to agree with the sentiments above. You're wife is a very pretty lady.

Bruce, sorry to hear about your back. I can relate. Take it easy and do some PT if possible. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81382 is a reply to message #81375] Fri, 05 June 2015 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks, bud.

And I agree with you on those speakers - they're droolworthy, aren't they?

Hope to see you next year!

Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81390 is a reply to message #81286] Tue, 09 June 2015 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
The only constant is change. I built this stereo rack over the weekend. It is made from 1-1/2" Baltic birch and stained in black cherry. I replaced the McIntosh C36 pre with a Sonic Euphoria passive pre (autoformers) and added the Lounge LCR phono stage.

http://wardsweb.org/misc/livingroom060815.jpg
Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81391 is a reply to message #81390] Tue, 09 June 2015 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Stunning. Good blending match between the rack and the speakers. How do you like the sound of your passive attenuator and your new phono stage?

Still loving the looks of the blue light highlights under your plinth and in the amp racks on the floor.

Have you been getting tapes from Dan Schmalle? I've been wanting to get involved in that, and I'm thinking of upgrading my Pioneer RT-909. Any suggestions on a good deck?

Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81392 is a reply to message #81391] Tue, 09 June 2015 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I really like the autoformers the pre uses. I don't need any gain with my amps and speakers. The Mac was way overkill. The Sonic Euphoria does a great job of getting out of the way of the music. There is a lot of air and detail.

The Lounge phono stage is nice out of the box. I expect it to get even better with time. It is an outstanding bang for the buck.

Yes, tapes are from The Tape Project. It doesn't get any better than these with a good deck. Analog goodness with CD black background. As for a deck, I really like the Tascam BR20 I'm using. Other options are the Revox C270, Technics RS1500, and Otari MX-5050.
Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81393 is a reply to message #81392] Tue, 09 June 2015 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for those suggestions. I might just pull the trigger on one of those decks.

And like you, I've become a fan of passive attenuators instead of preamps. I designed one a few years back for some of my amp builder friends, mostly a way to provide a remote control for them. See the link below for details. But after building a couple of prototypes, I fell in love with the passive setup and never went back.
Mine is a resistive attenuator rather than an autoformer, and there are differences, to be sure. But I think the main thing is minimizing the number of gain stages. I'm running a single-ended tube amp, and with a good source, it's just about as simple a circuit as one can get.

Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81420 is a reply to message #81286] Mon, 29 June 2015 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Had a few friends over this past weekend. One of them brought these Usher's. It is really a nice bookshelf speaker.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/062715/usher.jpg
Re: 2-channel system done the Wardsweb way [message #81421 is a reply to message #81286] Mon, 29 June 2015 10:19 Go to previous message
Baron
Of course there was plenty of vinyl spinning.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/062715/benzglider.jpg
Previous Topic: Power strips
Next Topic: 4 pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:25:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers