Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube?
Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube? [message #8117] Wed, 25 February 2004 15:22 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm currrently building a preamp for my sister, using the Constant Current Source schematic in the back of Bruce Rozenblit's Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design. The design uses an 12AU7 for each channel and looks to be a very simple build. Other than it being simple, the other attraction is that its different from the usual Common Cath/Cath Follower design, and I was very interested in hearing what it would sound like.

To date, my exposure to tube preamps has been limited to CF designs, based on 12A_7 tubes. Never heard octals, and nothing outside of CF's. So I'm wondering if anyone can share their opinions on the various preamp topologies and tubes. Any favourites out there?

Thoughts on the follow designs: CF, Constant Current Source, SRPP (Shunt regulated push pull), Grounded Grid? Does the use of octals vs. 12A_7's really make a difference?

Thanks,
Gar.

Re: Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube? [message #8118 is a reply to message #8117] Thu, 26 February 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That Rozenblit design sounds interesting. Let us know what you think of it.

Steve Bench has listed several amp configurations here. His document specifically addresses output stages, but I thought you might find it interesting, nonetheless. Check out the rest of his website too, because he investigates many other things from novel connection structures to various component types and specs.

Re: Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube? [message #8119 is a reply to message #8118] Mon, 01 March 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice link Wayne! This helps me choose my next amp project as well!
-akhilesh

Re: Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube? [message #8122 is a reply to message #8117] Wed, 10 March 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi,
I built the Transcendent pre from a kit. This unit is a winner. All of the audio buzzwords for tone, imaging, depth, etc. they're all there. I've used it with a variety of tube and SS amps. This preamp is also dead quiet. I love the way it works with my Pi Theater 4 speakers. The only downers are bare bones features, a three position selector, and a volume control. It has been my primary pre for a year now.
Bruce Rosenblit is an EE and concerned with providing, value, performance, and reliability. Ive auditioned a few of the other preamps listed on the forum. I haven't heard better. Just my opinion, and a rare rave review.
Steve

Re: Favourite Preamp Topology and Tube? [message #8123 is a reply to message #8122] Thu, 11 March 2004 07:26 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the feedback on the Transcendent grounded grid. I'm planning to make that exact design my next project. The schematic is printed in Bruce's book, Audio Reality, and he does encourage people to built it from scratch, as an option to his kit. For me, a large part of the fun is choosing parts and designing layouts. You never end up saving money though, 'cuz you always end up using more expensive parts.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Preamp (Foreplay) upgrade
Next Topic: Tube4hi-fi el 84 PP amp arrives
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:06:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers