Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Towers First Listen
Re: 2Pi Towers First Listen [message #80945 is a reply to message #80944] Fri, 19 December 2014 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm glad you posted on this thread, because I installed the tweeters, made a few measurements and spent some time listening. Then things got crazy and I forgot to comment about it.

I have moved since then - and am still unpacking and setting up shop so I cannot access my measurement files to post here - but I can tell you that the SB-29 tweeter performs very well as a drop-in replacement for the DX-25. No crossover changes are necessary.

Subjectively, I'd say the SB-29 is maybe a little more "delicate" sounding. By that, what I mean is it sounds detailed without being shrill. It doesn't have any more or less output, and so it isn't a spectral balance thing. But it did sound like it had a little more sparkle to my ears.

It's a very pleasant sounding tweeter. I'm not sure I'd call it an upgrade, though it's definitely not a downgrade either. I'd say it's worth giving it a try, sort of like tube-rolling for the tube-amp guys.

Re: 2Pi Towers First Listen [message #80947 is a reply to message #80945] Sat, 20 December 2014 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Thanks for the quick thoughts wayne.

So if I'm reading the data sheets correctly it looks like they are physically different... so if you have already countersunk the baffle for the Vifa then you would have to make some sort of adapter to fit the smaller SB driver?
Re: 2Pi Towers First Listen [message #80948 is a reply to message #75593] Sun, 21 December 2014 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Just to clarify... there seem to be two versions of this driver

SB29RDC and SB29RDCN

They seem to have different specs. the Neo version is a different physical size and seems to have 1db more sensitivity and a different rising response...
Re: 2Pi Towers First Listen [message #80949 is a reply to message #80948] Mon, 22 December 2014 10:58 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

About mounting, you're right, the SB-29 mod requires some alteration to fit physically. Not so much if the tweeters are surface mounted but even then, the mounting holes are different.

As to the differences between the RDC and RDNC, I haven't even tried the RDBC. It's quite different actually, both physically and electro-mechanically. We're only talking about the RDC version of the SB-29 here.

Previous Topic: 3pi plans request
Next Topic: Pi = ahhhhhh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:35:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout