Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Will 7Pi work in my room?
Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80793] Sat, 08 November 2014 06:21 Go to next message
despearce is currently offline  despearce
Esquire
My main listening room is 17'3" x 11'4" and 8'6" high. I currently have my speakers on the long wall around 10' apart and sit on a bed to listen which is equidistant between the speakers on the opposite wall.

I could have the 7Pi firing either direction across or down and in the corners. If I have the speakers firing down the room the bed will be between the speakers.

Which would be best and where would the optimum seating position be?

I am open to suggestions if other speakers are more suitable, I drive my current (94db 3 way) speakers with a 30w valve amp.
Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80797 is a reply to message #80793] Sat, 08 November 2014 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some people put constant directivity cornerehorns in rooms like yours along the long wall, and it sounds fine. But it does sound better when they're sitting along the short wall, because it brings forward the point where the speakers' axes cross. This gives better left/right balance with listeners sitting just behind where the axes cross. For more information, see the following links in the π Speakers FAQ:
Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80799 is a reply to message #80793] Sat, 08 November 2014 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thakns for the reply Wayne, I've read some of the links before asking and I'd thought it may be better across the shorter wall. Would the bed cause a problem if the speakers were firing down the room and the bed was on one long wall starting around 4' from the speaker, with the mid and treble being way above bed level would the sound be impacted much?

Would I be better with the 3 or 4pi? I could reuse the driver if I wanted to buld a cornerpi then?

Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80803 is a reply to message #80799] Sun, 09 November 2014 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have the right corners and room layout, then constant directivity cornerhorns are definitely the best option for you. If not, then DI-matched two-way speakers with flanking subs are the best approach.

Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80806 is a reply to message #80793] Sun, 09 November 2014 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
index.php?t=getfile&id=1589&private=0

This is how the room will look, the only addition is a hifi rack 2ft away from the wardrobe to the left of the window.

Our bed is 22 inches high and 5ft away from the chimney breast, the 6Pi (or 7Pi) would be in the corners of the wall with the chimney breast.

Is the bed going to cause problems do you think?
  • Attachment: snapshot2.jpg
    (Size: 141.20KB, Downloaded 3834 times)
Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80809 is a reply to message #80806] Mon, 10 November 2014 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It may make the soundstage "lean" to the left slightly, with more absorption on the right, particularly at HF. But it is not reflective, so that's better than something like a table or some other furniture with a hard surface.

Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80811 is a reply to message #80793] Mon, 10 November 2014 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Is the chimney breast an issue and would the chair on the far wall need to be brought forward far to give a good listening position?

I maybe able to put the bed on the chimney breast, it's a perfect fit and almost central (within an inch or two) if this made the 7 or 6Pi a better fit in there.

Sorry for the barrage of questions Wayne, I'm reading lots to find answers but some of the answers are obviously room specific.
Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80815 is a reply to message #80811] Mon, 10 November 2014 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The chimney isn't a problem but, yes, I would move the chair forward. Both because you want to be just behind where the axes cross and also because you don't want to be so close to the rear-wall reflection.

Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80834 is a reply to message #80793] Sat, 15 November 2014 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Well finally finshed reading and researching, plus spoke to a gent in the uk who has used 7pi for the past 6 years. We have heavy curtains from floor to ceiling covering the window, they start 50" from the corner, will this help balance the soundstage?

A last few questions to ask:
Will the room being on the first floor be a problem, it is carpeted but is pine floorboards on joists?
Woud the 6pi be a better bet or is the 7pi better integrated and better sounding in the lower frequencies. Looking on here it seems as if the 6 goes lower and sounds identical over 100hz?

Finally assuming the floor will not cause major problems could you send me the 6pi plans please or the 7pi if they will cause less room issues. I want these to be a long term part of my system so have decided to spend what it takes to achieve the sound I'm after.
Re: Will 7Pi work in my room? [message #80837 is a reply to message #80834] Sat, 15 November 2014 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The floor won't be a problem, provided the room doesn't sound resonant from panel vibration. Most times, room modes are the biggest problem anyway.

Curtains almost always help, and constant directivity cornerhorns benefit even more because there aren't any reflections other than the grazing reflections along the walls. Curtains really help that. Those aren't bad anyway, but what little bad they do is mitigated by the curtains.

Please decide which model you prefer and let me know. I'll send plans right away. To help you decide, look at the π Speakers FAQ, and pay particular attention to the sections about differences between models and options.

Previous Topic: What to use to power/EQ a 4.2 theater?
Next Topic: Guidance when looking for used 2226Hs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:04:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio