Home » Audio » General » Solder
Solder [message #804] Fri, 03 September 2004 11:04 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
What is the benefit in silver solder? I though 60/40 resin core was recommended for electronics but I hear some like silver. Is it used in the high tech sector, like in satelites or something?

Re: Solder [message #805 is a reply to message #804] Fri, 03 September 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There may be other reasons, but I one I heard is that silver solder sticks better to the silver wires that are so prevalent in "audiophile-grade" equipment.

I'm sure silver solder has better conductivity than lead solder, but that's a moot point if components and wires are soldered properly (ie. connections are made through good mechanical connections and does not rely on the solder for conducting signals).

Gar.

Re: Solder [message #806 is a reply to message #805] Fri, 03 September 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks. I wonder if it is used in space electronics or if it is only in "audiophile grade" equipment. Whatever is trusted millions of miles away in the extremes of space is what I would bank on.
Ralph

Re: Solder [message #807 is a reply to message #806] Fri, 03 September 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audio Observer is currently offline  Audio Observer
Esquire
Spose they use Jupiter Beeswax capacitors up there? LOL

LOL [message #808 is a reply to message #807] Fri, 03 September 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
LOL

Re: Solder [message #809 is a reply to message #804] Sat, 04 September 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Years ago I used silver solder to build slot car chassis. It was supposed to be stronger, I think.

Re: Solder - Actually, the opposite is true [message #811 is a reply to message #805] Sat, 04 September 2004 20:26 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Components are supposed to be mechanically connected to preclude strain on the solder joint. The solder is only intended to provide conductivity.

Previous Topic: DIY Wisconsin
Next Topic: influence of interior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 07:57:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout