Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My new 4Pis
My new 4Pis [message #80382] Wed, 03 September 2014 21:31 Go to next message
Fstein is currently offline  Fstein
Esquire

index.php?t=getfile&id=1520&private=0

Here are my new 4 Pi' s driven by a flea-powered Magnavox. There is a Paradigm Servo-15 sub to the left. Despite 18 inch bases, Have a midbass hump - working on placement

index.php?t=getfile&id=1521&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1521&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1522&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1523&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_9732.jpg
    (Size: 175.46KB, Downloaded 4520 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9733.jpg
    (Size: 129.77KB, Downloaded 7695 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9734.jpg
    (Size: 171.16KB, Downloaded 4541 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9735.jpg
    (Size: 142.67KB, Downloaded 4554 times)
Re: My new 4Pis [message #80384 is a reply to message #80382] Thu, 04 September 2014 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Hi Fstein,

Your 4 Pi's look great in RED!
But it looks like you don't have bass ports in your speakers, at least they are not visible from damping material, could this be the reason for bass problems?
Re: My new 4Pis [message #80388 is a reply to message #80384] Thu, 04 September 2014 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fstein is currently offline  Fstein
Esquire
there is a bass port on the front at 11 o'clock
Re: My new 4Pis [message #80390 is a reply to message #80388] Thu, 04 September 2014 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I just love the looks of those speakers in red! Especially with the red amp and stereo rack. Love that amp, by the way. It's awesome!

When you have the time and/or budget, please do setup some flanking subs. Those have a specific purpose, which is to smooth the upper midbass and lower midrange. They should be placed just beside, below and behind the mains, one for each side. They should overlap the mains up to 150-200Hz or so, with a low-pass having slow gradual rolloff.

This is not how subs are normally run - Most times, subs are low-passed with steep slopes and crossover is done lower, usually below 100Hz and sometimes as low as 80Hz or even 60Hz. This is perfect for a distant distributed sub or two, which may also be helpful for smoothing the lowest frequency mode or two. But in the midbass and midrange, we're talking about acoustic scale of just a few feet, so the subs need to be closer to the mains to get the same results. The idea is to blend the sound sources (mains and subs), and that way where one source gets self-interference from a boundary, the other does not and vice-versa. The flanking sub approach averages the sound field in the midbass and midrange.

You really have a difficult environment, and that's where flanking subs and distributed multisubs help most. Every surface is rigid, with brick walls and hardwood floors, all reflections are very loud. Self-interference and room modes are very strong in your room. Damping would help a great deal, but you can't do that without totally changing decor. So flanking subs become extremely important, because the room effects are so strong.

Re: My new 4Pis [message #80399 is a reply to message #80384] Thu, 04 September 2014 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
Your 4 Pi's look great in RED!
But it looks like you don't have bass ports in your speakers, at least they are not visible from damping material, could this be the reason for bass problems?

I think what he is getting at is this.
Isn't the port supposed to be a boxed in area "X" amount of inches deep into the speaker cabinet? It looks as though you just created the opening instead of boxing it in. But as he stated perhaps you filled in the boxed area with damping material.
Re: My new 4Pis [message #80430 is a reply to message #80399] Mon, 08 September 2014 06:19 Go to previous message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Hi Justphil,

Yes, I was thinking about same thing, here is the picture of how it should look from inside...

index.php?t=getfile&id=1545&private=0
  • Attachment: 4Pi.jpg
    (Size: 81.24KB, Downloaded 3823 times)
Previous Topic: Best surrounds for 4Pi Mains
Next Topic: 2pi, 3pi, Zaph ZA5.3 for In-Wall LCR?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:04:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio