Home » Audio » Home Theater » Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur?
Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #80176] Fri, 11 July 2014 06:05 Go to next message
pk20 is currently offline  pk20
Baron
How many of you still watch movies on DVD or Blue-Ray? The younger generation are all about streaming movies (which I can attest cost a fortune in data charges) and I think the last time I watched a DVD was a while ago. Other than the collectables I don't think we've bought or rented a DVD movie in ages.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #80177 is a reply to message #80176] Fri, 11 July 2014 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

At this point in time, I think you should consider streaming media to be the "convenient" method and DVD and Blu-Ray to be the "quality" methods. Especially Blu-Ray, which is usually considerably better both for video and audio.

It is possible to stream hi-resolution data that would rival the better disk media formats but in practice, it isn't realized. So consider streaming media to be the budget/convenience option.

Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #80183 is a reply to message #80176] Sun, 13 July 2014 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Streaming is convenient but in the long run expensive. I will stream some shows during the month but still like Blu-Ray better for quality. My kids will only stream movies not rent or buy DVDs.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #80184 is a reply to message #80183] Sun, 13 July 2014 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe that Blue ray will be hear for some time. Video quality is better and the web can only support so much band width. Eventually it will cost more to have service needed to down load high quality video. it is already starting in some parts of the country. Here the difference between good down load speeds (5 megs) and ones more suitable for video (30-50 meg) is about $70 per month. Figure that into the cost of viewing something and Blue ray starts to look real good.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #80273 is a reply to message #80176] Wed, 20 August 2014 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne1959 is currently offline  Wayne1959
Esquire
DVDs will be with us for some time. It might go to Blu Ray and 4k only at some point in the future, but there are still many places that do not have high speed internet connections. I don't think that you will get the benefit of the HD audio through streaming, either.

If you are not someone that has to see a movie when it first comes out you can use EBAY, Half.com or many other web based resources to buy DVDs at greatly reduced prices.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #81886 is a reply to message #80176] Wed, 06 January 2016 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finn is currently offline  Finn
Viscount
I think that DVDs and Blue Rays are going to be sticking around for quite some time still. I haven't watched a DVD in a while, since I usually stream most of my movies, but I still like having some of those movies on DVD for when I don't have access to streaming.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #81948 is a reply to message #80176] Thu, 04 February 2016 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicWife
Esquire
My husband, and I talked about this recently. We can't see the DVD/Blue Ray going away any time in the near future. We usually rent new movies OnDemand. There are some movies that cost money (Star Wars!), and we already have them on DVD, so we're certainly not going to waste money on that, and sometimes streaming gets really slow. I watch a lot of stuff on Amazon Prime, but IMO, the picture quality is better on DVD/Blue Ray. We have a lot of TV show series on DVD, and I can't see us getting rid of those. They cost a ton of money, and are convenient to just pop in when we feel the need to watch one of the seasons.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #82200 is a reply to message #80176] Sat, 12 March 2016 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JuneBug is currently offline  JuneBug
Chancellor
I still use DVDs.
I am actually looking for a DVDplayer right now. My old one finally broke down, and I haven't replaced it yet.
In the meantime, I have been using ITunes. They are not too terribly expensive, and they save to my account.
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #82201 is a reply to message #80176] Sat, 12 March 2016 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JillbeQuick is currently offline  JillbeQuick
Chancellor
I think DVD players will be around for a while. They haven't come out with something better as of yet. Streaming Netflix or ITunes isn't quite affordable, as you need to buy an Internet connection capable of supporting it the whole length of the movie.

Jack jumped over a candlestick
Re: Are DVD and Blue Ray going the way of the dinosaur? [message #82210 is a reply to message #80176] Mon, 14 March 2016 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thaddeus is currently offline  Thaddeus
Baron
I still watch DVDs, but maybe not as much as I used to. I don't really care for the quality that you get when you stream movies. In my opinion, they are better looking on DVDs.
Previous Topic: Last Upgrade
Next Topic: The Purple Flare Power Cord
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:44:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout