Home » Audio » Source » Husband's old vinyl records in the attic
Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80129] Sun, 22 June 2014 17:28 Go to next message
Rachel is currently offline  Rachel
Chancellor
We were cleaning out the attic and I found a box of my husband's old vinyl records. I took a nostalgic trip to my teen years looking at the old rock albums like KISS, Van Halen, Cheap Trick. I must have stuck in a couple of my mother's Doris Day albums in there too. I think I will dig out my turntable and put some music on.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80130 is a reply to message #80129] Sun, 22 June 2014 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
It is amazing what is hiding in attics. We don't have attics here but the big barn style shed is the next best thing. There is stuff in mine from decades ago. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80132 is a reply to message #80129] Mon, 23 June 2014 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rachel is currently offline  Rachel
Chancellor
We found a lot of junk that we threw out. We wanted to clean it out since we rarely even think about it. We put stuff in there when we first moved in and haven't used it since. It's like a closet you never go into unless you're looking for something specific.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80172 is a reply to message #80129] Thu, 10 July 2014 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Good for you Rachel, I have a few closets that I need to go through and get rid of things no one's used in years. Purging junk is good for everyone.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80319 is a reply to message #80129] Thu, 28 August 2014 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's pretty cool. I don't tend to keep things in storage unless I have to, so I rarely find anything like that. My parents still have their album collection though. I need to nab it and grab a turntable.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80444 is a reply to message #80129] Wed, 10 September 2014 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Rachel wrote on Sun, 22 June 2014 17:28
We were cleaning out the attic and I found a box of my husband's old vinyl records. I took a nostalgic trip to my teen years looking at the old rock albums like KISS, Van Halen, Cheap Trick. I must have stuck in a couple of my mother's Doris Day albums in there too. I think I will dig out my turntable and put some music on.

I wish we had a turntable! I was going through my parents' attic a couple of years ago, right after my dad died. I came across several boxes of vinyls and it broke my heart getting rid of them. Now I really wish I hadn't.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80543 is a reply to message #80129] Fri, 19 September 2014 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFreed52 is currently offline  AFreed52
Chancellor
I assume they were in a place that was reasonably temperature-controlled. I say that because many attics can get extremely hot or cold, depending on the time of year--which can warp the records.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #80566 is a reply to message #80543] Thu, 25 September 2014 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
AFreed52 wrote on Fri, 19 September 2014 21:02
I assume they were in a place that was reasonably temperature-controlled. I say that because many attics can get extremely hot or cold, depending on the time of year--which can warp the records.

That's a good point, and one I didn't think of. However, it seems like more and more people are making their storage spaces climate-controlled so they don't run into issues like that.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #83190 is a reply to message #80129] Wed, 03 August 2016 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
And that's a good thing because some of the old vinyl can be worth a good amount of money if they are kept in good shape.

A person can climate control attic space too.
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #83199 is a reply to message #83190] Wed, 03 August 2016 15:14 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
LPs are actually surprisingly durable. Heat is not the enemy, it is flatness. Laying flat they will put up with a lot of heat. Set on an angle...nope. I have several hundred. Generally if you can stand the temperature so can they. A bigger issue is the quality of what they were played on. Many were spun on inexpensive players with needles that were badly worn. Fortunately there is some hope even for them. I find that a good cartridge with a "micro ridge" stylus (google it for details) will often reach into parts of the groove that have not be worn out. Most other more common stylus shapes don't seem to do quite as well. Right now I'm listening to a jazz LP from 1964 that was $1 in a bargain bin. It didn't look all that great, but is playing almost like new.

While on the subject (slightly OT)do not be lured into buying any of the cute cheap phonographs out there now. There are at least a dozen brands that try to tell you that you can copy your LPs to digits and others that are just cheap. Don't do it. They are better used as door stops. If you need to learn why just visit vinyengine.com there are many threads on it. That still doesn't mean you need to get a second mortgage to get something that will do a good job. Same site is full of lower cost ideas.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD
Next Topic: A Modern Spin On Records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:51:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers