Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pink Noise Vs. sweeps for measurements
Pink Noise Vs. sweeps for measurements [message #80156] Tue, 08 July 2014 16:02 Go to next message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
Hi all,

This maybe OT for this forum but I know there's good experience here.

I'm working with a Bernigher ultracurve as RTA using pink noise from a CD as source. I use this for room placement and crossover tweaking. I strive for a response that is a few DB down in the highs X curve style.

As far as a general curve is concerned is the response balance with this type of measurement comparable to a sweep? Would pink noise and an RTA lead me down a path to brighter sounding speakers?

Thanks,

Scott
Re: Pink Noise Vs. sweeps for measurements [message #80163 is a reply to message #80156] Wed, 09 July 2014 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out this informative thread where Steve Larson describes the pros and cons for each of the most common measurement signal types:

Re: Pink Noise Vs. sweeps for measurements [message #80164 is a reply to message #80163] Wed, 09 July 2014 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
Like I said, OT but lots of expertise.

It would be interesting to see a frequency response plot of the same speaker in the same room with both sweep and pink noise.

Scott
Re: Pink Noise Vs. sweeps for measurements [message #80168 is a reply to message #80164] Thu, 10 July 2014 13:45 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If measurement is made indoors, you'll see mostly the room (not the speaker) unless gating is used in order to ignore reflections. When gating is used, it is called a pseudo-anechoic measurement, because the influence of reflections doesn't appear in the data. You can gate some signal types, and others you can't. But frankly, all the subtleties that are exposed using various signal types would be swamped by room influence, if the measurement isn't gated to ignore reflections.

Previous Topic: Another pi midhorn question.
Next Topic: 2Pi Speaker plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:55:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout