Home » Audio » General » How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work
How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79290] Wed, 05 February 2014 03:37 Go to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
I've just seen the Bose noise cancelling headphones mentioned. How do they work? Do they just block out the noise or is there something more fancy going on?
Re: How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79592 is a reply to message #79290] Wed, 26 February 2014 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
Something a little more fancy. I got a set of Bose QC-II's as a gift, and I actually like them pretty well. Never having tried anything like that, I was a little annoyed at first they have to have a battery and be turned on to work. Silly me. Anyhow, the idea is they have a microphone on the outside that gets blended with the regular signal, only inverted, so that the external noise gets canceled at your ear. No music is needed to try this out. Just put them on and turn them on. In a second or so, the regular background noise seems to disappear. The not so regular noise doesn't get reduced in the same way, but overall the effect is nice.
Re: How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79595 is a reply to message #79290] Thu, 27 February 2014 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
So these only work for constant noise that is occurring around you? I presume that irregular noises, the headphones wouldn't have time to work on, that there's a delay?

That being the case I assume they wouldn't work on kids?
Re: How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79613 is a reply to message #79595] Tue, 04 March 2014 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
You'd have to ask my co-workers. :^) More than once, I wouldn't hear someone trying to get my attention, and I don't play the music loud by any stretch. It's worth a trip to a Bose store if you've never tried them.
Re: How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79818 is a reply to message #79290] Tue, 22 April 2014 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
I wondered how they worked too. I love the commercials that they have. I thought they blocked out all outside noise. I might have to get a pair and try them out. I would have to listen to music though. I would not want them in my ears if I wasn't listening to music.

Let's chat!
Re: How do Noise Cancelling Headphones Work [message #79824 is a reply to message #79290] Wed, 23 April 2014 05:44 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
They block the outside noise coming into the headphones but do they block the noise in the headphones from coming out to others around you? That is what I need for my son's ear-damaging music. How expensive are these Bose headphones?
Previous Topic: New wireless headset
Next Topic: Apartment echoes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:34:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout