Home » Audio » Home Theater » Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes
Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes [message #79550] Sat, 22 February 2014 04:36 Go to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
Would you rather have a regular TV with a smart set-top box (like a Roku) or a smart TV without the set-top box? Right now I have a regular TV (not even a flat screen at that) with the first model of the Roku but I am thinking about spending some of our tax money to upgrade to a smart TV instead.
Re: Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes [message #79556 is a reply to message #79550] Sun, 23 February 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
If you already have the Roku and you're happy with it, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money on a "smart" TV. I would just go with a regular flat screen. If you're thinking about replacing the Roku anyways, just go ahead and get the smart TV. That's what I would do, at least.
Re: Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes [message #79562 is a reply to message #79550] Mon, 24 February 2014 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioClueless is currently offline  AudioClueless
Baron
The more things that an item does, the more potential there is for something to go wrong.

Think of it this way. If your Roku breaks you can send it back, upgrade, borrow something to get TV, or watch DVDs on your set. If your Smart TV breaks you lose the lot.
Re: Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes [message #80128 is a reply to message #79550] Sun, 22 June 2014 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rachel is currently offline  Rachel
Chancellor
I'd love to get a Smart TV but we bought a new flat screen TV a year ago so I can't justify spending that money. If you are happy with the Roku keep it. Since you are asking the question I'm guessing you are leaning towards a Smart TV.
Re: Smart TV versus Smart Set-Top Boxes [message #80131 is a reply to message #80128] Sun, 22 June 2014 21:11 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently online  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I think I'll stick to dumb TVs as it seems they already do more than I need or want them to do. Much like my smart phone. Does anyone really know all they can do?

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Ceiling speakers
Next Topic: Why not a Plasma TV?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:04:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers