Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Amazon Prime (Would you pay $120 for it?)
Amazon Prime [message #79319] Thu, 06 February 2014 10:33 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
I just read an article on Clark Howard's website about Amazon's intention of padding their profits by increasing the price of Prime memberships from $79 to $119 a year. If they actually do this, will you pay it?
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79327 is a reply to message #79319] Thu, 06 February 2014 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I would probably still pay it. Even at $119 a year, it still works out to less than $10 a month. I don't think that's bad for everything you get. I love the two-day shipping and the online streaming.
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79331 is a reply to message #79319] Fri, 07 February 2014 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that it's just to pad their profits. The price hasn't increased in years, and yet they have added so many features to the Prime program in that time-and haven't charged more for it. I think that the price increase is LONG overdue. Don't even get me started on the price increases in postage that they have eaten over the years.

I would like to see several tiers though-Prime for shipping without all of the other features, and one that includes the TV streaming for instance.
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79346 is a reply to message #79331] Fri, 07 February 2014 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I'm with you on the tiers. I use the shipping and really have no use for the other stuff.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79348 is a reply to message #79331] Fri, 07 February 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Iceage wrote on Fri, 07 February 2014 04:11
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that it's just to pad their profits. The price hasn't increased in years, and yet they have added so many features to the Prime program in that time-and haven't charged more for it. I think that the price increase is LONG overdue. Don't even get me started on the price increases in postage that they have eaten over the years.

I would like to see several tiers though-Prime for shipping without all of the other features, and one that includes the TV streaming for instance.

Well, according to Clark Howard's article on it, Amazon's profits have been declining recently, so their plan is to up the price of the Prime memberships to make up the difference. Is it justified? I guess that boils down to a matter of personal opinion. I doubt most people will want to pay $120 a year for the same services that they're only paying $80/year for right now, though. Of course, if you read the article, Clark also says he thinks they'll suggest $120, wait for people to fuss about it, and then compromise with a rate hike of only $20/year instead of $40, for a final price of $100/year.
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79350 is a reply to message #79348] Fri, 07 February 2014 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I wouldn't pay $120 a year for it, but I don't pay $80 a year for it now. My husband is a college student so we get it for $20 a year. Smile
Re: Amazon Prime [message #79377 is a reply to message #79319] Mon, 10 February 2014 03:34 Go to previous message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
And why are their profits declining? Would it possibly have anything to do with them paying out licensing fees for the streaming services? Or for them eating the increases in shipping costs? These are all valid concerns for the business and since these increased costs must be eating into their profits, I cannot knock them for needing to recoup some of the costs.
Previous Topic: True Detective
Next Topic: Damp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:10:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout