Home » Audio » Home Theater » Chromecast (Movies, music and more)
Chromecast [message #78703] Thu, 19 December 2013 21:34 Go to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
So has anyone else tried and fallen in love with Chromecast? We bought it primarily to play Netflix on the TV, but as soon as my husband found out that he could "cast" YouTube music videos, now that's what we do a lot of.
Re: Chromecast [message #78738 is a reply to message #78703] Sun, 22 December 2013 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You had me at You Tube video's. I haven't heard of it until now, but I will definitely check it out. I've been wanting to get the Netflix option because what is on cable just is not worth the price I pay.
Re: Chromecast [message #78798 is a reply to message #78703] Mon, 30 December 2013 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Is Chromecast just a streaming service? Our television is already WiFi-enabled so we can stream anything we have a subscription to. It is pretty handy since we disconnected cable.
Re: Chromecast [message #78930 is a reply to message #78703] Thu, 09 January 2014 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not familiar with Chromecast either. I just stream what I want to watch online or through my television. I remember hearing a friend rave about Chromecast though.
Re: Chromecast [message #78963 is a reply to message #78703] Wed, 15 January 2014 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Chromecast is not a streaming service, but a streaming device, I guess you'd call it.

You would probably not need it if your TV is already WiFi capable, Nymeria. I'm not sure what WiFi TVs do, and how you control them.

Chromecast uses our WiFi system to connect to the internet and allow us to "cast" things to the TV. Things like Netflix, HuluPlus, YouTube, or any browser tab from Chrome. They are supposedly going to be adding more places.

You control it with your computer or phone, but it's using your WiFi to do the streaming. Your laptop, iPad or phone is just basically the remote control.

Our TV can theoretically connect directly to Netflix, but we'd have to run an ethernet cable from the TV to another room to the router. Not practical or cheap. In fact the cable was going to cost three times the price of the Chromecast. So we access Netflix through the Chromecast device.
Re: Chromecast [message #79052 is a reply to message #78703] Thu, 23 January 2014 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Chromecast sounds like a Roku to me. If I didn't already have a Roku, I'd probably get the Chromecast since I like Google's web browser so much. You can't browse the internet through Roku; that's the only thing I don't like about it.
Re: Chromecast [message #79158 is a reply to message #79052] Wed, 29 January 2014 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
What exactly is a Roku? Is it an Apple thing? I assume it somehow connects a computer to a TV? Is it very expensive? Can you use for phone to control it too?
Re: Chromecast [message #79186 is a reply to message #78703] Fri, 31 January 2014 03:45 Go to previous message
AudioClueless is currently offline  AudioClueless
Baron
We are stuck in the stone-age. I have my XBox 360 hooked up to do the same thing. It works very, very well, so I haven't bought a streaming device yet.
Previous Topic: Where did you find your equipment?
Next Topic: Angry Neighbors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:47:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout