Home » Audio » Home Theater » Sales tricks to watch for (enhancing audio floor models)
Sales tricks to watch for [message #78962] Wed, 15 January 2014 12:24 Go to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
It's always been buyer beware, and I guess electronics are no exception. I've been reading about how electronics stores get you to pay good money for cheap products.

One thing to do if you are shopping is to take your own musical sample. It seems that it is a common practice to use high bit-rate MP3s to make a system sound better than it is.

I don't know how you would guard against the other practice I've heard of. Some stores will attach "enhancement units" to their low-end music systems to improve the sound.

No wonder systems are never as wonderful at home as in the store!
Re: Sales tricks to watch for [message #78977 is a reply to message #78962] Fri, 17 January 2014 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. Bose as set up in places like Best Buy were (are) masters at this. All sorts of things went into the setup. Exact speaker placement, room treatments and so on. The tip about bringing your own music is good. It might not ferret out all funky stuff, but sure will eliminate that one. The process reminds me of when I bought my Martin Logan Electrostatics. I brought my music, my amps, my preamp and allowed them to use a Rega Apollo. I figured it was equal to my Oppo. They were of course nice about it and I went home with the ESLs and the store bought a pair of my amps. Some things do work out.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sales tricks to watch for [message #78992 is a reply to message #78962] Sun, 19 January 2014 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
Taking your own music is a really good idea, and I am certainly not surprised that stores try to trick you into thinking something is better than it is. That may just explain a lot about the sound bar we have in the living room. Wink
Re: Sales tricks to watch for [message #79051 is a reply to message #78962] Thu, 23 January 2014 19:53 Go to previous message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Wow, I didn't realize these stores had tricks up their sleeves like that. I bought a mid-range system not too long ago and was very disappointed by how it actually sounded once I got it home. I'll definitely take some of my own music next time; thanks for the advice.
Previous Topic: Modern Sound Or Old?
Next Topic: Where did you find your equipment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:26:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio