Home » Audio » Speaker » DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th
DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #78832] Wed, 01 January 2014 13:48 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The DIY Speaker Builders' meet is at my house in the West Houston suburbs on Saturday, January 18th. It will be a very informal get-together with no set agenda or competition, etc. Just an opportunity to see, hear and admire everybody's special handiwork. We'll have two systems set up. Downstairs will be a solid state system with an Onix CD player, a Krell 200w/ch amp, and whatever speakers you want to hear. Upstairs will be a tube system with an EL34 tube amp and your choice of vinyl, CD or SACD source. DIY designs and kit-built designs are welcome. I'll post directions and other details as the date approaches.
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #78849 is a reply to message #78832] Thu, 02 January 2014 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One of the systems we'll hear includes the bi-amplified dipole Towers of Awesomeness line arrays.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1359&private=0

• Attachment: DSC02074.JPG
    (Size: 65.36KB, Downloaded 3837 times)
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #78850 is a reply to message #78849] Thu, 02 January 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dude, those definitely look like awesomeness!

Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #78947 is a reply to message #78850] Sat, 11 January 2014 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The speaker builders' meeting is at my house starting at 10:00 AM on Saturday, January 18th. We'll have a low power EL34 tube system and a high power Krell solid state system available to suit a variety of speakers. I'll supply snacks, soft drinks, bottled water and beer. We'll order pizza for lunch; if you would like some, bring $5 to toss into the kitty. Here are the directions:

From I-10, take Eldridge Pkwy north approx. 4.5 miles. The first major cross-road is Clay Rd. Continue on until the next light, and turn right into Lakes on Eldridge. We'll notify the gate guards - so just tell them you're going to Fred Thompson's House. Once inside the gate, make a left turn each time you come to a stop sign (there will be 4 of them). After the 4th stop sign and the 4th left turn you'll be facing our house. It's the two story red brick house up ahead with a red Nissan Rogue SUV parked in front. The address is 12110 Medina Bend Lane. If you get lost, call my cell at 281-381-8830 and a rescue party will be dispatched. If you have any questions before the event email audiofred@comcast.net for a quick reply.

We'll have a heavy duty hand cart available to move large heavy speakers. If your creation requires anything other than banana plugs or spade lugs please bring some kind of adapter to fit bananas to your inputs.
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #78965 is a reply to message #78947] Thu, 16 January 2014 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's still on for this Saturday, Jan 18, starting at the earlier of 10:00 AM or whenever the first person arrives. I have no idea what will appear except for three of my DIY favorites plus a pair of mini monitors a Houston Audio Society friend is bringing.

The mini monitors have little response below 90hz, so we plan to hook up the little 8" Pioneer sub that's received so much attention lately and to dial it in using the Parts Express Omni Mic system, with the frequency response graph appearing on the TV positioned between the speakers. Should be very informative to all who have not seen the Omni Mic system.

Here's another of my dipole speakers we'll hear: Dayton Audio 8" full range point source with H-frame Eminence Alpha 15 subs.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1362&private=0
  • Attachment: DSC02076.JPG
    (Size: 130.87KB, Downloaded 3735 times)
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #79053 is a reply to message #78832] Thu, 23 January 2014 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
Well, how did it go? Were there lots of people? Did you see some cool stuff? Learn any new cool techniques to pass on? Did you take any pictures? We need a full report!
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Jan 18th [message #79352 is a reply to message #79053] Sat, 08 February 2014 07:29 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Won't be doing this again anytime soon. We had a good crowd, and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, but only one person brought speakers. So it actually was a "listen to my DIY speakers event". Sad
Previous Topic: Driver break in?
Next Topic: Budget Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:50:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout