Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Baffle length (Changing dimension)
icon12.gif  4pi Baffle length [message #78768] Tue, 24 December 2013 16:21 Go to next message
dmeckstr is currently offline  dmeckstr
Esquire
Hi,
So I've only been planning to build these 4pi's for like 5 years, but I think I am almost at the point of doing it. I know it's a no-no to mess with the width of the baffle, but I am wondering if there is a downside to extending the length? I was thinking it might be convenient for tweaking to put the crossover in a compartment underneath the speaker. Would that work? Or have a negative effect? Also, would I need to make any allowance in the speaker cabinet for the space left by removing the crossover?

I have some of those big oil can caps that I want to try, but also, like, seriously, the WAF is too much on the border with these--they really need to go larger!! Twisted Evil
Thanks for a great forum!
David
Re: 4pi Baffle length [message #78770 is a reply to message #78768] Wed, 25 December 2013 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oil filled caps are great, but don't change the cabinet dimensions or the port. There's a lot of R&D invested in these, and if you modify them, you throw that investment out the window.

It's not so much the Helmholtz frequency I'm worried about, although that would change and not for the better, it's set right now. But even more importantly, you'd change where standing waves lined up internally, which might create an anomaly in the midrange, possibly causing some response ripple. So unless you have the time to go through a build/test development cycle, don't do mods like that.

Re: 4pi Baffle length [message #78778 is a reply to message #78770] Thu, 26 December 2013 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmeckstr is currently offline  dmeckstr
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

I definitely don't want to mess up anything having to do with the performance. I was re-reading my post and maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I just wanted to clarify that I don't intend to do anything to the dimensions of the speaker cabinet. I was wondering if adding a separate compartment below the baffle would have a negative effect.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1357&private=0

Re: 4pi Baffle length [message #78779 is a reply to message #78778] Thu, 26 December 2013 15:31 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, I see what you're saying now. That's fine, no problem at all.

Previous Topic: From 5.1 to 7.1
Next Topic: 4pi Speaker Plans, Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:44:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout