Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speaker locations
Speaker locations [message #78682] Tue, 17 December 2013 21:15 Go to next message
KickinAces is currently offline  KickinAces
Esquire
So I am going to be building some 4pi speakers for my R/C/L. I already have the plans for them and for 2pi for surrounds. I am getting ready to put up the framing for the HT. I have 143'' from wall to wall behind the screen. Unfortunately, about 24'' is not able to be used on one side due to the fuse box that I have to have access to. My question is this:

How close together can the R/C/L be placed and still sound alright? I really do not think I should off set them at all. Having them centered, it would leave about 13'' between the speakers. Is this acceptable? Or do I need to look to different speakers? I have heard great things about the 4pi, want to build them, but forgot about the limited space.

Thanks
Re: Speaker locations [message #78687 is a reply to message #78682] Wed, 18 December 2013 01:53 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Of course, there's a sort of "Goldilocks setup" where the toe-in and separation give a natural soundstage over a wide listening area or "sweet spot". Too far apart and the illusion breaks down, but too close together and even with uniform directivity, the "sweet spot" is small. But ironically, sometimes the imaging gets better that way, sort of like some planar speakers give. So as long as you don't need to seat a large audience, it will sound good. just make sure all the listeners are between the left and right mains, and its best if they're behind where the forward axes cross.
Previous Topic: Corners and frequencies
Next Topic: Two 3 pi subs to replace my horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:37:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio