Home » Audio » General » What is my best option?
What is my best option? [message #78621] Wed, 11 December 2013 23:09 Go to next message
PageantDirector is currently offline  PageantDirector
Chancellor
I am the director of a beauty pageant and I am looking to purchase my own sound equipment instead of renting it like I have been doing. Which pieces of equipment are must have items? I know that I need a mixer, microphones and speakers but, other than that I am a bit lost. And I don't know how many speakers I should get.

If it helps any, the rooms that I generally use are roughly 6000 sqft and I can have an audience of anywhere from 50-300 people. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Re: What is my best option? [message #78631 is a reply to message #78621] Thu, 12 December 2013 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sound system design is complicated. For example, the speaker number and type would depend on the room size and shape. Both are important. Can you give us a little more information?
Re: What is my best option? [message #78653 is a reply to message #78631] Fri, 13 December 2013 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The room is a basic rectangle 55'x110' but I am not sure how high the ceiling is. I do know that it is almost 2 stories though. There are only 2 walls. The space is a large banquet room that is being divided with curtains instead of airwalls (though I have no idea why.) It will have a stage at the front and theater style seating. I'm not sure what other information would be helpful, as this is all new to me. If there is any other pertinent information, please let me know.
Re: What is my best option? [message #78661 is a reply to message #78653] Sun, 15 December 2013 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You might want to look into something like this:

https://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpeqnrcoi

I don't know what your budget is, this system weighs in at around $700, but it looks like it might suit your needs.
Re: What is my best option? [message #78671 is a reply to message #78621] Mon, 16 December 2013 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
That's a pretty big room so there is a good chance you will need more than 2 speakers, angled or hung so that people in the back can hear without people in the front getting their ears blasted. You'll have some sound absorption with the curtains. Are there any other soft surfaces (like carpet) or are the floor and ceiling both hard?
Re: What is my best option? [message #78683 is a reply to message #78671] Tue, 17 December 2013 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The room is carpeted and, for at least part of the event there will be tables with cloths. I'm not sure how much the table cloths will effect sound absorption or, if they will at all. This audio stuff is all new to me.

Thanks for the recommendation on the system. I will take a look at it and ask the guy who used to do our sound stuff if that will work for our needs.
Re: What is my best option? [message #78692 is a reply to message #78671] Wed, 18 December 2013 11:05 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Chicken wrote on Mon, 16 December 2013 11:28
That's a pretty big room so there is a good chance you will need more than 2 speakers, angled or hung so that people in the back can hear without people in the front getting their ears blasted. You'll have some sound absorption with the curtains. Are there any other soft surfaces (like carpet) or are the floor and ceiling both hard?

Instead of hanging them, could we have the speakers on stands about halfway back in the seating area? We will not have enough in our budget this year to get the truss equipment that we would need for hanging them after we purchase the sound system. Would it sound ok on stands, or is hanging them an absolute must?
Previous Topic: High End Audio Dying Out?
Next Topic: Apple Ending the Loudness Wars?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:21:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio