Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Placement
4Pi Placement [message #78436] Sun, 24 November 2013 06:57 Go to next message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times but don't see a thread. I have a new room and haven't been able to dial in speaker placement yet.

Room is 14x18 with speakers on the 14' wall spaced 8' apart and toed in crossing in front of listening position by a foot or two.
Listening position is 8' back, but the speakers back edge is nearly against the wall, do these need to be out in the room a bit??

Soundstage right now seems hollow and placement is more way back in the auditorium.

Haven't addressed any room treatments yet, I have an open 4' door to hallway that will eventually have a sliding barn door. Maybe that is creating a huge suck out or something??

I also just put them on 15" stands which took away a wee bit of bass content, still adjusting to that.

I'm also breaking in some cryo receptables and cryo romex in wall wiring, may have some effect also but has been in use several weeks.

This hollow sound stage is frustrating........ Crying or Very Sad
Re: 4Pi Placement [message #78438 is a reply to message #78436] Sun, 24 November 2013 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The main thing is to cross the mains axes in front of the listeners, and to use flanking subs. The flanking subs will both add extension and also smooth the self-interference notches from the wall behind the speakers, vertical modes and other similar anomalies.
Re: 4Pi Placement [message #78440 is a reply to message #78438] Sun, 24 November 2013 13:47 Go to previous message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron
Thanks Wayne, I will check out the links. Hoping to get some room treatment and diffraction going soon also.
Previous Topic: I'll see your 4Pi Feet and raise you 2Pi Tower Wheels
Next Topic: interested in 12pi bass horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:41:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout