Home » Audio » General » Volume Sneaking Up on You
Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #77785] Fri, 06 September 2013 07:30 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
My husband was watching TV last night. It wasn't a show that interested me so I wasn't paying attention. Suddenly I realized that the volume was extremely loud; it was weird though, because I couldn't figure out if it had always been that loud and I just hadn't paid attention, or if the show itself got louder.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #77798 is a reply to message #77785] Mon, 09 September 2013 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It depends on the show. Some channels, like HBO, air shows with a larger variation in volume, but most are pretty constant. DVDs of shows also have more volume changes.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #77807 is a reply to message #77785] Mon, 09 September 2013 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Is it possible that the commercials that are really loud? I noticed one day when some commercials come on they up the volume. I don't know if this is to catch your attention or just bad audio production, but I'm guessing it's the former.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #77812 is a reply to message #77785] Tue, 10 September 2013 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
We were watching Star Trek on Hulu, so I don't know how much they compress the volume. It wasn't the commercials that caught my attention, although they certainly are often extremely loud.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #77976 is a reply to message #77785] Mon, 30 September 2013 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Georgiana is currently offline  Georgiana
Chancellor
My opinion is that they turn the volume up on the commercials because they know you are going to get up and go to the refrigerator or bathroom and they don't want you to miss their product advertisement.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #78024 is a reply to message #77785] Sat, 05 October 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I thought a new law went into effect not too long ago that said the commercials can't be louder than the show. The commercials on Hulu are almost always louder than the show you were watching though.
Re: Volume Sneaking Up on You [message #78028 is a reply to message #77785] Sat, 05 October 2013 19:20 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
They probably turn up the volume to keep you awake during their show. Have you noticed if it happens more at the dramatic part of the program?

My family always listens to the television really loud, I'm thinking they may have a problem with their hearing.
Previous Topic: Spotify Connect
Next Topic: Reviews Versus Personal Taste
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:27:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout