Home » Audio » General » Does Deafness Run in Your Family?
Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #77832] Thu, 12 September 2013 07:23 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Do you have any deaf or hard of hearing family members? I don't have any deaf family members, but on my father's side, many relatives get pretty hard of hearing and need aids once they hit their 60s.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #77852 is a reply to message #77832] Fri, 13 September 2013 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We have a similar issue in our family. I just try to be careful with my ears and also hope that I escape that particular genetic curse.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #77906 is a reply to message #77832] Tue, 24 September 2013 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fannie is currently offline  Fannie
Chancellor
My grandparents on both sides had no problems with their hearing. My parents are in their 70's and they both just got hearing aids. We have never had anyone who was totally deaf in our family though.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #78026 is a reply to message #77832] Sat, 05 October 2013 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
I have an aunt who is deaf. She has a lot of trouble with her speech because she can not hear sounds correctly. My parents think I need hearing aids. Rolling Eyes There's nothing wrong with my hearing, other than it's selective. Very Happy
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #78029 is a reply to message #77832] Sat, 05 October 2013 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
My family had no problems but my in-laws are having a hard time hearing. You will say one word and they think it is something else. They also listen to television and music really loud.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #78034 is a reply to message #78026] Mon, 07 October 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Chase wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 18:39
I have an aunt who is deaf. She has a lot of trouble with her speech because she can not hear sounds correctly. My parents think I need hearing aids. Rolling Eyes There's nothing wrong with my hearing, other than it's selective. Very Happy

That's hilarious. Laughing If I were one of your parents, however, I'm sure I'd be annoyed. My kids are very young and already have picked up on the concept of selective hearing, which drives me nuts.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #78045 is a reply to message #77832] Mon, 07 October 2013 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
We've got a family full of selective listener's but only one member who is deaf. She has been deaf from birth though. Her mom was in a car accident when she was pregnant with her and somehow it damaged her hearing.
Re: Does Deafness Run in Your Family? [message #78091 is a reply to message #78034] Sun, 13 October 2013 18:10 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
audioaudio90 wrote on Mon, 07 October 2013 08:35
Chase wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 18:39

That's hilarious. Laughing If I were one of your parents, however, I'm sure I'd be annoyed. My kids are very young and already have picked up on the concept of selective hearing, which drives me nuts.

My son is just like that. Only hears what he wants to hear. I had one of his teachers tell me he needed a hearing test because he wasn't responding all the time. I told her about his selective hearing and that he hears just fine when it's something he wants. We even tested his hearing at home. I asked if anyone wanted McDonald's in a really low voice and he heard me from across the room.
Previous Topic: Reviews Versus Personal Taste
Next Topic: Sound Hound!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:57:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout