Home » Audio » General » Graphene Speakers and Headphones (Brand new miracle material)
Graphene Speakers and Headphones [message #77538] Tue, 20 August 2013 14:38 Go to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
So who's heard about the new wonder material, grapheme? I just read an article that it would be the perfect material for speaker diaphragms, which need to be thin but strong. It's just one atom of carbon thick, but 300 times stronger than steel! It's so thin that they are calling it two dimensional. And it has a great dynamic range, because it's also not brittle.
Re: Graphene Speakers and Headphones [message #77542 is a reply to message #77538] Tue, 20 August 2013 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
I can see a lot of different applications for this in the near future. It really is an amazing invention that can, among other things, make television screens even thinner.
Re: Graphene Speakers and Headphones [message #77561 is a reply to message #77538] Thu, 22 August 2013 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm amazed that they can even make anything that is only one atom thick. It's no wonder they call it two-dimensional.

Have they tested graphene yet for audio applications?
Re: Graphene Speakers and Headphones [message #77565 is a reply to message #77561] Thu, 22 August 2013 14:41 Go to previous message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
My son the physicist even agreed that it was basically two dimensional even though he's usually really literal about those sorts of things.

He says so far they can only make fairly small sheets of it. But yes, headphones and phones and the like are one of the obvious first places to start using it.
Previous Topic: Ears and HD and sinuses
Next Topic: Home Security
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:21:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout