Home » Audio » General » Loaning Gear
Loaning Gear [message #77316] Mon, 29 July 2013 13:04 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Do you ever loan any audio gear to friends? Why or why not? Did you ever have any bad experiences with loaning equipment? Do you lay any ground rules before loaning gear?
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77319 is a reply to message #77316] Mon, 29 July 2013 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Sure. Anything except turntables (because of the ease of damaging the cartridge) and vinyl. Most everything else is robust and even if damaged can be easily fixed. I also find most audiophiles pretty honest so the stuff always comes back. I loan lots of stuff at audio shows. A good way to showcase both my gear and the borrower's gear. A definite win-win.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77321 is a reply to message #77319] Mon, 29 July 2013 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

And we're mighty glad you do! Smile Definitely win-win.

Re: Loaning Gear [message #77325 is a reply to message #77316] Mon, 29 July 2013 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roxxi is currently offline  roxxi
Chancellor
No! I have had problems loaning many things to friends. There is no way I would take the chance with something so expensive. If I am going to be at the event I might take it if asked. I will be the one that controls it though.
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77341 is a reply to message #77316] Tue, 30 July 2013 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundsensor is currently offline  Soundsensor
Esquire
My general guidelines for loaning things covers all departments. It doesn't matter if it's audio gear, a car, tools, money, or whatever else.

I loan all things with the upfront mindset that I will not get it back, period. So based on this, I sort of build credit lines when it comes to loaning things out.

I will never loan something that I cannot afford to not be returned. Ever! I also will not loan out something, to a person for the first time, that is very valuable to me. I will start small and determine a person's integrity. If you establish "good credit" with me then I will become more willing to lend bigger and better things.
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77383 is a reply to message #77316] Fri, 02 August 2013 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I lend books but that's about it. I just don't feel comfortable loaning out expensive gear because then I worry that I won't get it back and things will be weird between us.
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77497 is a reply to message #77316] Fri, 16 August 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
My equipment isn't cheap so, no, I don't loan it out. Even if most people are honest, I make a living off of my equipment and accidents can and do happen. I can't afford to lose any of it so I don't loan it out.
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77499 is a reply to message #77316] Fri, 16 August 2013 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I guess we aren't as generous as Bruce is. Laughing I don't loan my own stuff out either, for the most part. I just worry too much that I won't get it back.
Re: Loaning Gear [message #77501 is a reply to message #77499] Fri, 16 August 2013 14:27 Go to previous message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
People don't have to be bad or unreliable to have something bad happen. I'm very much like soundsensor, even about my books. If I want it back, I don't loan it out.

Of course, I have a lot of stuff that I loan out, though, because I just have a lot of stuff that, honestly, I won't miss if it doesn't come back.

Audio gear is not generally in this category.
Previous Topic: California Audio Show
Next Topic: Temporary XM?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:34:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout