Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers are back in town
Subwoofers are back in town [message #77459] Fri, 09 August 2013 13:57 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some may remember I long ago cut down the BatSpeakers

index.php?t=getfile&id=1239&private=0

and installed the 15" Dayton Classics with mis-matched plate amps.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1240&private=0

Last year one amp quit and I hadn't been happy with the other from the start so left the subs out of the system 'til now.

With all the rain we've had this year I've spent a lot of time listening and thinking...thinking about what to do with the Adcom 545 I picked up cheap as a "Summer amp" but really didn't enjoy listening to. Then...(envision light bulb)

...acquired a cheapo 130Hz Dayton dual coil subwoofer crossover, cut it in half, installed each half in a sub, buttoned up the plate amp hole and installed a terminal.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1242&private=0

Figuring there might be a SLIGHT mis-match between the 1.8 Watt 45 Amp and the 150 Watt Adcom Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing,
I built a level control with a pair of Alpha 10K mono pots and a $4 Radio Shack project box.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1243&private=0

Subs are playing nicely with the 4Pis which is especially gratifying 'cause my "pre-amp" is passive; the level controls make the combo work.

A new pair of plate amps would have been $250 and hum is always an issue with them. I spent less than $50 bucks over what I already had in the Adcom and parts drawer RCAs, etc.

Let it rain. Well...not really...I do hate having that 150MM travel bike parked so many days

index.php?t=getfile&id=1244&private=0

but it's great getting all the notes down to 27Hz or so.

Re: Subwoofers are back in town [message #77461 is a reply to message #77459] Fri, 09 August 2013 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's excellent, Bill. As you know, when we met I wasn't big on subwoofers either. I think that was because of two problems in most every subwooer implementation I heard: 1. The sub was too load, making it sound "tubby", and 2. being a single sub, it made worst-case room mode excitation, exacerbating problem 1. But after reading Welti's papers on multisubs, I began to try various approaches and found some of them to work really well. Just gotta put the subs in the right places and turn them down low enough they don't stand out. Subtle.

Re: Subwoofers are back in town [message #77464 is a reply to message #77461] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
That's it Wayne, "subtle".

I thought I might be going overboard building four 15" sealed subs. My sub amp is switched with my processor, so it's easy to play music or video with the main amps off (and speakers silent).

The subs just rumble and thump somewhat quietly and don't seem to be doing a lot. But once the main speakers come online, the sound is full and amazing. Kill the sub amp and the life just drains out of the system.

Multiple subs, loping along not breaking a sweat, do wonderful things to the sound.
Re: Subwoofers are back in town [message #77465 is a reply to message #77464] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:26 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Multiple subs, loping along not breaking a sweat, do wonderful things to the sound.

That's the key. When you can't "hear" them, it's the right level.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the level control, don't forget to tie the input and output grounds together. I did at first and heard HUMMMM!
Previous Topic: Three Pi Plans
Next Topic: 4Pis are better now?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:47:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout