Home » Audio » General » Temporary XM? (Getting XM radio in an old car.)
Temporary XM? [message #77343] Tue, 30 July 2013 17:12 Go to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
I heard something the other day about being able to get XM receivers that play through your existing car radio. (One of those things where a friend of a friend's nephew was doing it, you know.)

I thought XM was by subscription only, and that you had to have something really special in the car stereo system. Is it not that hard? Can you get like a portable XM receiver and run it through the car radio like I'm currently running my iPod through there, using a cassette adapter?
Re: Temporary XM? [message #77352 is a reply to message #77343] Tue, 30 July 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes you can make most XM receivers send a signal to an FM tuner in your car. But the XM service is still a you pay for one. I use it all the time, but use the mini phone jack to connect to my car's audio (it has an aux input). XM is rather nice on long trips as it doesn't fade out except when you have something block the signal - like going through a tunnel and sometimes right next to a big building. Not often, but occasionally. I like all the variety of music available.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Temporary XM? [message #77502 is a reply to message #77352] Fri, 16 August 2013 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I guess what I don't understand is the paying part. How and when do you pay the XM people? Do the XM receivers have some sort of chip you activate? Are there contracts so that if you get it you're stuck with it for a year? Or can you just pay for the minutes you listen, like a prepaid phone, stuff like that.
Re: Temporary XM? [message #77503 is a reply to message #77502] Fri, 16 August 2013 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The radios are programmable from the down load signals. They will quit working and go to channel 1 which is their add channel if they don't receive an authorization code at the specified interval. If you don't pay then they don't send the signal. Then you get no programs. Also a benefit to prevent theft. All you need do is report it stolen or lost and the radio quits. You can pay in several ways. I authorize a once a year payment (saves one months cost) via a credit card. The alternative is monthly credit card billing. You can quit any time as you own the radio up front. None of the nonsense that cell providers do.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Temporary XM? [message #77504 is a reply to message #77343] Sat, 17 August 2013 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I could see this coming in handy for sports, like the NFL, but not music. Not for me at least. I have too many custom CD's and an MP3 that I don't really need an all Bruce Springsteen channel.
Re: Temporary XM? [message #77514 is a reply to message #77502] Sat, 17 August 2013 19:55 Go to previous message
Baron
Okay! Thanks GoFar99! That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Now it begins to make sense. And it seems like a really good idea. Don't we wish the phone companies were that easy to deal with.
Previous Topic: Loaning Gear
Next Topic: Ears and HD and sinuses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:53:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout