Home » Audio » General » Autism and Audio (increased hearing sensitivity and music)
Autism and Audio [message #77267] Tue, 23 July 2013 13:46 Go to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
My son is slightly autistic.
One of the things about him that is different is his amazing hearing. I haven't tested it yet, but I think he could probably hear bats! I know that he can tell when I've turned on the TV upstairs when he is in the basement. I can't hear it standing next to it, but he says it has a particular sound he can hear. Now that he's older and learned to deal with being bombarded by sounds, it's not nearly as bad, but as you can imagine, his childhood was a little hellish.
Of course he is a musician and has perfect pitch. This is both a blessing and a curse. He plays the piano, violin, cello and recorder. On the instruments he can tune himself, things are great. But for a piano, that can lose its tune every change of season? And that require special people with specialized tools to tune? Oh terrible.
Turns out, however, that electric pianos have come a long way. You can buy an electric piano that looks and sounds and plays like a real grand piano. The keys are weighted the same. The finish and styles are equally as wonderful. And they never go out of tune! Of course they cost as much as real grand pianos, but not more. So if you have a serious musician, I whole-heartedly recommend digital pianos.
Re: Autism and Audio [message #77270 is a reply to message #77267] Tue, 23 July 2013 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roxxi is currently offline  roxxi
Chancellor
Very interesting and thanks for sharing your son's story. I bet it is great listening to him play. Does he get upset when something is not the perfect pitch? If so he would hate it at my house. My daughter is learning how to play the flute.
Re: Autism and Audio [message #77276 is a reply to message #77267] Wed, 24 July 2013 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I can only imagine how difficult it would be for a child with sensitivity issues. The movie theaters around here have started running sensitivity screenings of current movies on occasion. They turn the volume down and I think the lights are on dim instead of off.
Re: Autism and Audio [message #77291 is a reply to message #77267] Thu, 25 July 2013 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
Yes Roxxi, it upsets him when something is not right. He won't play his grandmother's piano, because she uses some tuner who, according to my son, doesn't get it quite right. Plus something about the way the cabinet vibrates...I don't know.
He's better now, at least in not complaining too loudly, but when he was young, he would get really nearly hysterical sometimes about some sounds.
We always tell the story about when he and his brother were both taking piano lessons. His older brother was ahead maybe a year. Baby had been taking lessons a few months. So Big Brother has this classical piece, Something in G (Key of G has one sharp, all the rest are the usual "white notes"). Every time he would practice it, baby brother would yell, from where ever he was in the house, "No!, that's not blahblah in G!" It sounded right to all the rest of us. But we get to the lesson, and the teacher asks BigBrother, is there some reason you're not playing the sharp note? He was playing the tune and all that correctly, but he was playing it in C, basically, because he was forgetting to "sharp" the F. So, Baby B was right it was not BlahBlah in G, because it was not in G! He'd been taking only a few months!
It's been an experience.
Some day I'll tell you about the 4 state search for the perfect violin.
Re: Autism and Audio [message #77303 is a reply to message #77267] Sat, 27 July 2013 21:27 Go to previous message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
Well, Rusty, don't be shy, tell us about the four state violin search. We're always up for a good story around here. I assume you were eventually successful?

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Previous Topic: Best Earbuds for Workout
Next Topic: Songs for sound-tests
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:37:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout