Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2425 Diaphragms ( OEM replacement or can we get by cheaper ?)
JBL 2425 Diaphragms [message #77007] Wed, 12 June 2013 18:28 Go to next message
bathtub is currently offline  bathtub
Esquire
Hi,
I have 2 blown JBL 2425 drivers. Are there suitable replacement diaphragms that don't break the bank ? I can buy B & C Polyimide drivers cheaper than what the original diaphragms for mine cost. Is that a better option ?
Re: JBL 2425 Diaphragms [message #77008 is a reply to message #77007] Wed, 12 June 2013 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I feel your pain. That's one reason why I started offering the DE250 as an upgrade option instead of the 2426. The JBL driver is really good, but it's just so expensive.

The JBL driver does sound really nice and holds its resale value, so if you already have it, it is probably worth getting a diaphragm for it. But if buying new, I'd go with the DE250 instead.

Re: JBL 2425 Diaphragms [message #77012 is a reply to message #77008] Thu, 13 June 2013 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathtub is currently offline  bathtub
Esquire
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 12 June 2013 22:23

I feel your pain. That's one reason why I started offering the DE250 as an upgrade option instead of the 2426. The JBL driver is really good, but it's just so expensive.

The JBL driver does sound really nice and holds its resale value, so if you already have it, it is probably worth getting a diaphragm for it. But if buying new, I'd go with the DE250 instead.

Thanks Wayne,
I have seen several after market diaphragms that are not nearly as expensive. I was thinking of trying the Radian. Have you used any of the aftermarket variety ? Or should I bite the bullet and go OEM ? What happened ? My Rotel preamp sent DC thru the speakers last year and that was that. I use an electronic crossover but that signal didn't care. I have read that it is a good idea to put a capacitor in series on a horn driver when using a electronic crossover, any thoughts ?
Re: JBL 2425 Diaphragms [message #77014 is a reply to message #77012] Thu, 13 June 2013 08:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's a good idea to use a protection capacitor, of course. As for the aftermarket diaphragms, I personally prefer the genuine diaphragms but the Radian 1225 is definitely worthwhile. I don't care much for any aftermarket cone kits for the the 22xx-series woofers, but the replacement diaphragms from Radian are pretty good.

Previous Topic: Uniform Directivity - How important is it?
Next Topic: 4 Pi Baffle Information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:39:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout