Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Need A High Quality Amp
Need A High Quality Amp [message #76566] Tue, 30 April 2013 16:06 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Our amp is about 15 years old (or maybe even a tick older than that) and wearing out fast. We need a new one and were thinking of getting one that's actually performance quality. Suggestions?
Re: Need A High Quality Amp [message #76620 is a reply to message #76566] Fri, 03 May 2013 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Crown or QSC, Don't need to say anything more!!, Both are very reliable, I've got some Crown amp's that are over 20 years old (D series, DC series, Power-tech's)besides there new Pro Series nowadays, and they can all still do live sound as old as they are with no issues.

(If you can't tell, I'm more of a Crown guy)
Re: Need A High Quality Amp [message #76627 is a reply to message #76620] Sat, 04 May 2013 20:05 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I'll second Bill's recommendation of Crown and QSC. They both sound great and are tough as nails. A few years ago, Crown did have some problems with certain resistors in several models, but I'm sure that's been rectified.

In my opinion, it's hard to beat QSC or the money. I've used lots of QSC amps in several PA systems, and have never had a single problem with one. They also sound very clean and transparent, without glare, grit, or veiling.

There are lots of people with strong brand loyalty to Peavey, but I'd say avoid it. Compared to QSC and Crown, the CS Series Peaveys sound muddy, veiled and harsh, not to mention I've had several problems with them over time. Many years ago, Peavey made a digital amplifier (the "DECA") that was highly advanced for its day and sounded fantastic. But, it was cheaply made and plagued by reliability issues, which has sadly become the norm these days for Peavey's once quite reliable gear.

Thermionic
Previous Topic: Speaker's on a stick (stand) recommendation
Next Topic: Keyboards
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:19:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers