Home » Audio » General » Re-mastered vs. Original
Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76525] Fri, 26 April 2013 21:27 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Paying close attention to it, I only notice a slight difference in the quality of sound here. Are my ears going bad or am I the only the who thinks "re-mastered" is not much more than a sales tactic?
Re: Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76532 is a reply to message #76525] Sat, 27 April 2013 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It kind of matters what is remastered and from what source. On vinyl it can be rather dramatic of a difference. Sometimes much better if done well. More often than not worse. If it has been remastered from analog for use in digital media all sorts of things may be different. This can be particularly true if the remasterer wanted to make it "brighter" or quieter.

Perhaps your ears are fine, it is the source material that you listened to and the system you play it on that are masking the differences.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76542 is a reply to message #76525] Mon, 29 April 2013 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Yeah, it all kind of depends on how well the original was done in the first place. If you have vinyl from the 60's that has been re-mastered you're probably going to hear a big difference. Something from the 90's though, not so much because the recording equipment then was more upgraded and closer to the technology we have now.
Re: Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76560 is a reply to message #76525] Tue, 30 April 2013 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Remasters can be better, but not always. I don't always notice the difference, honestly, but frequently I do. For instance, it drives me crazy when they compress the audio and you lose all the dynamic range.
Re: Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76564 is a reply to message #76525] Tue, 30 April 2013 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
There have been some remasters that I thought sounded better, especially when you're talking about music from the 50's and 60's. More recent music, say from the 80's for example, actually seems to sound worse to me.
Re: Re-mastered vs. Original [message #76587 is a reply to message #76564] Wed, 01 May 2013 15:11 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Many remastered CD's sounds considerably worse than the original. Bob Marley's Legend is a good example. A couple of bonus tracks were added (good), but lots of compression was used on the original tracks, increasing the level and reducing the dynamic range by about 6dB (bad). Crying or Very Sad
Previous Topic: USB Cable with Separate Audio & Power
Next Topic: Audio Trends
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:05:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout