Home » Audio » Movies & Music » School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn (Music can help kids learn everything from math to science)
School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn [message #75144] Fri, 04 January 2013 19:28 Go to next message
80sgirl is currently offline  80sgirl
Chancellor
I have a degree in elementary education and 2 kids in school so I am no stranger to helping kids learn. I have noticed that music isn't used nearly as much in my kid's schools to teach them other subjects. Once they have learned the alphabet song that is about it for learning with music.

I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember the School House Rock videos from Saturday morning cartoons, but we actually have the DVD set. I can still sing the song about adverbs and the other song about multiplication with 3.

Not all kids learn the same way and many of them would benefit from these kinds of songs. I thought I would remind parents that there are a lot of great songs out there that can help their kids learn some basics in school.

80's Girl
Re: School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn [message #76159 is a reply to message #75144] Wed, 03 April 2013 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
This is a great subject to bring up. Oddly enough, my wife and I were just talking about this the other day. Somehow we got onto the subject of our elementary school days and started talking about songs we used to sing for different subjects. Come middle school and high school though, the singing stopped (unless you joined chorus). I think a lot of kids (and adults too for that matter) would benefit from learning things by song.
Re: School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn [message #76171 is a reply to message #75144] Thu, 04 April 2013 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
I am old enough to remember those old School House Rock sketches. It really helped to combine music with learning. I still have "I am a bill" burned into my brain.
Re: School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn [message #76178 is a reply to message #75144] Thu, 04 April 2013 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kara is currently offline  Kara
Chancellor
Great post, which reminded me of something I learned a long time ago during an education 101 class. I can't recall the exact name but do know there is a type of learning style that responds to sound.
Re: School House Rock - Music to Help Kids Learn [message #76235 is a reply to message #75144] Mon, 08 April 2013 08:46 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
People with an auditory learning style would respond well to learning by song. Another great song full of facts is "Why Does the Sun Shine" by They Might Be Giants.
Previous Topic: Dead but still earning!
Next Topic: The Hobbit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:29:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout