Home » Audio » Speaker » Subwoofers (Do I Still Need One With Large Speakers?)
Subwoofers [message #76093] Sat, 30 March 2013 15:31 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I've been speaker shopping and I'm thinking about buying some large floor standing speakers, Pioneers to be exact. If I buy 4 of these for a surround sound setup in my living room, do I still need a dedicated subwoofer?
Re: Subwoofers [message #76098 is a reply to message #76093] Sat, 30 March 2013 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest even more than one subwoofer. Not because they are needed for sound pressure level, but because the smooth room modes. See the attached link for more information:
Re: Subwoofers [message #76262 is a reply to message #76098] Wed, 10 April 2013 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
My dad had a setup with more than one subwoofer at one point. I think he had two; one was centered on the front wall and one was centered on the back wall in our living room. He also had about four floor standing speakers, along with two or four speakers mounted from the ceiling. Best sounding stereo I've ever listened to!
Re: Subwoofers [message #76273 is a reply to message #76262] Thu, 11 April 2013 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Thanks for the input. I'd never considered using more than one subwoofer before, but I'm definitely not dead set against it! Anything that improves the quality of the sound system is fine by me! I wonder how I could make that work in terms of hooking all those speakers up to my receiver...
Re: Subwoofers [message #76309 is a reply to message #76273] Mon, 15 April 2013 18:49 Go to previous message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
iLoveiPod wrote on Thu, 11 April 2013 14:05
Thanks for the input. I'd never considered using more than one subwoofer before, but I'm definitely not dead set against it! Anything that improves the quality of the sound system is fine by me! I wonder how I could make that work in terms of hooking all those speakers up to my receiver...

How many inputs do you have in the back of your receiver? If you have an older receiver like I have, you may end up needing a new receiver. Mine only has enough inputs for four speakers.
Previous Topic: Woofer to partner Lowther in Sousahorn
Next Topic: Having many speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:41:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout