Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Brothers Chesky were ahead of their time
The Brothers Chesky were ahead of their time [message #7587] Thu, 20 December 2007 18:50 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some of my best memories of playing vinyl on my HW-19MK3/ET2 rig 20 years ago were the Chesky remakes of famous RCAs like LT. Kije, Pines Of Rome, Scheherazade, etc. Most originally recorded by Layton and Mohr or Kenneth Wilkinson for those recorded in England. In the late Eighties it was common to buy 2 copies, 1 to play and one to store, they were that highly regarded.

I bought a couple of them used the other day from Acoustic Sounds, Lt. Kije: Reiner/CSO and Symphonie Fantastique:RPO/Freccia.

Even better than I remembered. The vinyl is maybe 120 grams, nothing written about Quiex or other compounds used but the care in mastering is evident. The strings on Kije are absolutely the best I've ever heard. Far better than the Classic I paid $30 for.

I counted 2 pops on side 2, Song Of the Nightingale and NONE on side 1. And these are used!

Very hard to find, seldom on E-bay but I lucked out on Acoustic Sounds. Ordered the Scheherazade today. They have more and Pines also. get some.

Record pops [message #7588 is a reply to message #7587] Fri, 21 December 2007 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I bet with the 1812s you could have heard at least 3 or 4 pops per side .

Re: Fewer pops with RRL [message #7589 is a reply to message #7588] Sun, 23 December 2007 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Played the Chesky Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique just now. After a few minutes I couldn't listen to the noise any more.

Cleaned with RRL, now Mobile Fidelity Super Deep Cleaner and then Super Vinyl Wash. 90% quieter and a pleasure to listen to.

Was using the Record Wash alone for the past year with good results but the Super Deep Cleaner made a BIG improvement. Great stuff.

Re: Fewer pops with RRL [message #7590 is a reply to message #7589] Sat, 05 January 2008 10:09 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Where did you get that cleaner, Bill? I've been using a Discwasher for years - decades - and it works pretty well but I usually use it dry. I'd like to try out the cleaner you're talking about.

Previous Topic: And more Emmy Lou!
Next Topic: Is that "slow Ride" my daughter asks....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 14:39:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio