Home » Audio » General » Houston Audio Society - Saturday, April 13th Meeting
Houston Audio Society - Saturday, April 13th Meeting [message #75867] Tue, 19 March 2013 18:24 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For our April meeting the Houston Audio Society will take a break from obscenely priced high end equipment and hear some affordable gear instead. The meeting will be at my house in the West Houston suburbs on Saturday, April 13th, starting at 11:00am. The topic will be some of my recent DIY projects, including the OddWatt Audio PoddWatt EL84 integrated amp and the OddWatt OddBlock KT88 monoblocks. The speakers used in this demonstration will be a pair of DIY full range open back single driver speakers incorporating Dayton Audio PS220-8 full range drivers with Eminence Alpha 15A H-frame open back powered subwoofers.

We'll also audition my DR912a line arrays. Each 7'8" tall enclosure incorporates nine BG Neo 8 PDR planar tweeters with twelve 7" Dayton Audio RS180 midwoofers. The mono subwoofer for the system is a TC Sounds Epic 12 driven by a Dayton Audio 500 watt plate amp. A DEQX digital processor/preamp serves as active crossover, equalizer and preamp. http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... &k=2cx37hF

In contrast to the above we will also audition the two-channel system I recommend to non-audiophile friends who are on a very restricted budget but want something that sounds better than computer speakers. This $300 total system includes a $130 Pioneer SP-BS22LR 4" Andrew Jones-designed 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair, a $99 Best Buy Insignia brand two channel receiver, and a $45 Toshiba DVD player, with speaker wire and interconnects from the 99 cent only store.

Directions will be posted on our Yahoo Groups page about a week before the event.
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonaudio/

Re: Houston Audio Society - Saturday, April 13th Meeting [message #76243 is a reply to message #75867] Tue, 09 April 2013 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a great meeting, Fred. I always like your reasonable but still definitely upscale audio systems. You manage to get one-percenter performance at really affordable prices, and I think that's more impressive than Nth degree systems. It certainly is more pragmatic and useful, since that's where most people need to be.

Re: Houston Audio Society - Saturday, April 13th Meeting [message #76298 is a reply to message #76243] Mon, 15 April 2013 05:53 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some interesting results from the meeting: Four out of five participants preferred the sound of the OddWatt OddBlock amps to the 300B SET amp. The consensus was that the OddBlocks were more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum and the bass was more controlled. Everybody preferred the vinyl version of the Van Morrison "Moondance" album over the CD version. The vocals were "edgy" on the CD compared to the vinyl. But in another comparison, using vinyl and CD versions of a classical orchestral recording, listeners couldn't hear much difference. This tends to confirm my belief that much of the difference we hear between vinyl and digital is a result of the choices the recording and mastering engineers made rather than a difference in the sound of the media.
Previous Topic: New MP3 Player!
Next Topic: Annoying Sounds You Feel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:09:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout