Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics
Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75786] Tue, 12 March 2013 14:41 Go to next message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I wanted to see what you think about the idea of using filler panels to make the Cornerhorn's mid-horn and bass enclosures appear more monolithic (similar to the look of the Khorns). These panels would butt up against either side of the bass bin and extend from the floor to the underside of the mid-horn. To look consistent from all angles, the panels would need to be L-shaped to also fill-in below the mid-horn's sides. If the filler panels need to be acoustically transparent, large cut-outs could be added to the panels and then wrapped with grill cloth.

I also wanted to ask if the portion of the bass bin that extends into the corners has any sonic significance (other than providing the correct spacing from the corners)?

Thanks,
Darrell
Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75787 is a reply to message #75786] Tue, 12 March 2013 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's no problem adding "wings" to the bass bin, although it does reach a smidge into the lower midrange so I wouldn't shadow it too much. An acoustically transparent (or nearly transparent) grille or foam would probably be best.

There is no significance in the top of the "doghouse" shape, it is merely a positioning device. It's really just a woofer in a slightly overdamped alignment, facing into the corner. The walls do all the work here.
Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75788 is a reply to message #75787] Tue, 12 March 2013 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for the info. Has anyone ever posted pics of a 6Pi or 7Pi with side wings? Maybe some photoshop is in order. Smile

-Darrell
Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75789 is a reply to message #75786] Tue, 12 March 2013 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Here's a 7Pi with photo-shopped wings:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1060&private=0

Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75790 is a reply to message #75789] Tue, 12 March 2013 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks kind of like a shortened version of the old seven π-18 bass bin, which was used with JBL 2241, 2242 or 2245 woofers. It was 24" wide and 46" tall, which is a foot taller than that (2226) seven π bass bin.

Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75791 is a reply to message #75786] Tue, 12 March 2013 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
So what happened to the 18" 7PIs?
Re: Pi Cornerhorn Aesthetics [message #75792 is a reply to message #75791] Tue, 12 March 2013 21:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I retired them when I started doing the multisub thing. No more need to get the bass pumped out of a pair of massive radiators; Better to have two smaller 15" bass bins on the front corners and a pair of deeper bass units in the rear corners.

I would rather have a pair of seven π cornerhorns in the front corners and a pair of distributed subs in the rear corners than to have a pair of π-18 cornerhorns up front with no distributed subs. Basically you're spending a little less on the front pair, and buying a pair of rear distributed subs with the money you saved. That approach provides smoother bass using the distributed multisub approach.

You could use the seven π-18 bass bins in the rear corners though, for a high-efficiency distributed subwoofer solution that had plenty of extension. Or use three π subs for even deeper extension in a smaller package, but at the cost of efficiency. They deliver more than enough SPL for most people though, which is why I retired the larger bass bins. This seemed like a more attractive approach, all things considered.

Previous Topic: flanking subs with small mains
Next Topic: Room question and plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:24:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout