Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Time to Goose the Pis
Time to Goose the Pis [message #75714] Tue, 05 March 2013 19:24 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From time to time I get a taste for high power; a steady diet of single-minded, single-ended amplifiers will do that.

Since 2005 I've tried classic "cheapskate" amps: the B&K ST-140, Sonographe SA-250 and Classe' CA-70. None passed the grain-in-the-treble test and the Classe' really all-around sucked. Of course, they're all Solid State.

Yesterday I bought cheap, again, a Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFA-545 II. Please let this 100 Watter be listenable. I really want to run some power through the 2 and 4 Pis to hear what changes. Also, my granddaughter is getting old enough to want to listen to music and I can't have my naked tubes exposed to her.

We'll see and I'll let you know.

BTW, I'm typing this on my new Logitech Blue Tooth keyboard for the IPad and it's a lot better than the touch pad but not wonderful ;-}
Re: Time to Goose the Pis [message #75719 is a reply to message #75714] Tue, 05 March 2013 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Bill,

I too get tired of small tube amps every now and then. AAMOF the only tube amps I love are Transcendent OTL's. Nothing like a bunch of high priced tubes glowing. For decent sized SS power (120wpc) and low cost, I bought a used ATI amp. Odyssey makes a good one too.

I wish I could afford Nelson Pass' SS amps and Roger Modjeski's tube units. But then, how could I build a never ending stream of speakers?

Please let us know the Adcom works out.

Steve
Re: Time to Goose the Pis [message #75723 is a reply to message #75714] Wed, 06 March 2013 05:17 Go to previous message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
I have an Odyssey Khartago (configured exactly like the one in the stereophile review) powering my 4 Pi's. It sounds great, much better than my old Adcom GFA 555. I paid less than listed on Klaus's website, perhaps he was so generous to offset the suck of living in Cambodia.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Previous Topic: Notes On Speaker Grills
Next Topic: 7pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:42:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers