Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel
Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75562 is a reply to message #74391] Tue, 19 February 2013 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willis66 is currently offline  willis66
Esquire
Well the towers are complete. They are built with 3/4" MDF with bracing and insulation per plans. The veneer is cherry that I applied via the glue/iron method. It was very frustrating and they still do not look good, lots of bubbles. It was probably due to the weather and humidity. After a lot of effort they were flat, then after the first coat of laquer, sprayed with an HVLP sprayer, more bubbles appeared. I decided to listen to the for a few months and try again this spring. They do sound great and having the center channel match is great. Running the fronts with a 150HZ filter. Overall I love the sound, just got to work out the veneer issues. Next time I might just build with Baltic Birch and stain the birch.

The new flexi racks are stained in the same color has the towers, I like the overall look.

Still trying to decide if I should make the screen smaller, or just ignore, since when watching 2.35:1 movies it is goes unnoticed.

The pics..

index.php?t=getfile&id=1042&private=0

• Attachment: P1060150.jpg
    (Size: 427.15KB, Downloaded 2977 times)
Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75565 is a reply to message #75562] Tue, 19 February 2013 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sweeeeet!

Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75578 is a reply to message #74391] Wed, 20 February 2013 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
Awesome! They look great from back here!

Panning effects (L-C-R) must sound good with matched mains from ... what Wayne, 100Hz and up?

If you could just raise the screen by a bit so you could see some wall above the 2Pi center and then lower the equipment stands to match the height of the back of the 2Pi ... This would give a uniform strip of wall colour across your components and around the screen and visually 'frame' the screen from a standing position. I think it would look great!

PS No I'm not gay (not that it should matter)... my wife is a decorator and all my stuff has to be HIGH WAF!!!

I hope you're running bass to those 2Pi Towers! They can take it (up to a point) With all this talk about multiple bass sources smoothing out the response it's a bit like having 2 extra subs in a multi-sub arrangement! You could place your other subs anywhere else in the room (higher WAF!). Plus, if you have any way to eq the bass you send around the system, you could really get fancy and analyse and actively smooth nodes "Geddes" style.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS I'm totally, totally jealous!!! What you have is my like 5-10 year dream plan!
Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75579 is a reply to message #75578] Wed, 20 February 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, all three sources are matched from about 80Hz up.

Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75580 is a reply to message #75579] Wed, 20 February 2013 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
80Hz and up! That almost all your important frequency response. Free Kin Sweeeeet!

Oh and here's that crazy all 2 Pi tower mains idea I was talking about.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1044&private=0

Crazy, I know!

But such bass!
Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75581 is a reply to message #75580] Wed, 20 February 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That is a crazy idea for a center, and won't be happening here.

As for WAF and the screen size, my wife likes the big screen and would rather me spend time on other projects rather than taking a day to make a smaller screen.

The bass is nice and smooth. I am thinking about building a folded horn sub for the back of the room to kick in the low end a bit more.

The current set-up blends a lot better with the bass shakers in the seats, which cut-off at 50Hz.

Overall everyone that has seen a movie comments on how much clearer the voices are in the movies. One of my goals with this project.

Wayne, what is you opinion on the corner treatments, they are filled with mineral wool, I also have two panels on the wall and on the ceiling?
Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75582 is a reply to message #75581] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You would have to measure to know what the treatments were doing, so if you have measurement gear, try a sweep or burst with the treatments and another one without and compare the difference.

My gut feel is the treatments may help in the midrange and higher frequencies but probably don't do much at low frequencies. Room modes are probably just the same with or without those treatments. But they may really help you in the midrange.

Bass damping really requires large panel absorbers. The rooms that are most troublesome have hard walls, like concrete, brick or stucco. Sometimes, the walls made with framed drywall construction damp the bass fairly well even without treatments. Multiple bass sound sources help smooth modes beyond that.

Re: 2Pi's completed - now I want a center channel [message #75585 is a reply to message #74391] Thu, 21 February 2013 07:06 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks for the reply Wayne. I am not planning on adding anything else, and honestly what we have now actually looks good in the room.

My main concern is that the existing treatments might somehow be hurting performance, especially in the left front corner. From your response it sounds like leaving everything as is will be fine.

I do not have test equipment, just a SPL meter from Radio Shack.

Going to enjoy what I have for a year or two, then consider building a 4Pi L-C-R setup and reusing the 2Pi's elsewhere in the house.

Thanks again, Wayne for all you give to the community.
Previous Topic: Skywave's 3 Pi Build
Next Topic: 4 Pi Design Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:35:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout