Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 6π bass driver question (Eminence vs. AE)
6π bass driver question [message #71672] Mon, 05 March 2012 09:44 Go to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
Is the crossover changed with the upgrade from the Eminence Delta 12LF to AE TD12S driver?

I'm considering building a pair of 6π's with the 12LF driver. I'd upgrade to the AE driver in the future and find another use for the Eminence drivers.

But if the crossover changes are too extensive I'll abandon that plan.

Thanks
Re: 6π bass driver question [message #71673 is a reply to message #71672] Mon, 05 March 2012 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No crossover changes on the six π loudspeakers when swapping woofers. The three π crossover is different, depending on the woofer chosen. But not the six π crossover. It's the same whether you have the Delta 12LF or the TD12S. The reason is the operating frequency range - In the three π, the woofer is used all the way through the midrange band. But in the six π, it's purely a woofer.

Re: 6π bass driver question [message #75485 is a reply to message #71673] Sun, 10 February 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
Since the Delta 12 is only covering the lowest range, I would assume that the upgraded woofer is much less important in the 6 pi than it is in the 3 pi. Is that a safe assumption?

If I recall correctly, the midhorn in the 6 pi starts to roll off at around 250Hz, so the bass driver is only working from there down, right?
Re: 6π bass driver question [message #75486 is a reply to message #75485] Sun, 10 February 2013 10:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's very true. The upgraded midwoofera are much more important in the matched-directivity two-ways than they are in the constant directivity cornerhoirns.

But it isn't entirely a meaningless upgrade for the cornerhorns. The woofer in the bass bin is overlapped with the midhorn up to 250Hz, and the rolloff slope is gradual so there is some midrange coming from the woofers.

Previous Topic: Final decided to take the dive into building 4Pi's
Next Topic: Buffer for my system?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:29:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout