Home » Audio » General » What Was Your First Stereo?
What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75188] Tue, 08 January 2013 15:47 Go to next message
80sgirl is currently offline  80sgirl
Chancellor
When I was a kid getting your own stereo was a rite of passage. It was a really big deal. I remember getting a stereo with a double tape deck and thinking I was so cool. Very Happy

Now my kids have no interest in a stereo. They are happy with their MP3 players. It got me thinking. Was my family weird or did other kids get excited when they got a stereo too?

I would love to hear some stories. Smile

80's Girl
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75258 is a reply to message #75188] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My first stereo was a Carver 900 receiver and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5B speakers. Worked all summer to pay for it. Still have both nearly 30 years later.
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75267 is a reply to message #75258] Tue, 15 January 2013 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Not so high class... a 10 watt solid state amp from Lafayette Electronics (long gone into the sunset now) a BSR record changer and a pair of Lafayette Minuette speakers. Complete with a Sonotone stereo ceramic cartridge with a saphire needle (really high tech then). All the stuff is long gone but it was cool back then. Eventually a 7 inch reel to reel monaural tape recorder joined the fray.

Now I have more stuff than I can count. I should open a stereo store... 4 turntables, at least 6 preamps, 3 stereo receivers, 2 HT multichannel receivers, unknown number of amps (6 tube mono blocks and 3 stereo tube amps in the living room alone - probably about 6-9 more in the shed). No idea how many pairs of speakers are here now (best guess is about 20 pairs, many name brand vintage ones, Altec Lansing, Klipsch, etc, 6 powered subs of assorted sizes, a pair of huge free air sub woofers. Small wonder I had to get a "barn" style shed with loft to store much of it. I guess this is what happens when you become your own boss and design electronics for the fun of it. Being half owner in a company that sells kits of a number of the things designed could be part of it as well. No telling how many prototypes are on the premises. Sorry everyone... the topic got me carried away. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75298 is a reply to message #75188] Sun, 20 January 2013 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I remember my first stereo was a component receiver with a 25 disc CD changer and 2 floor speakers that each stood about 2 1/2 feet high. I can't remember the brand very well, but I want to say it was Olympic or Olympus, or something like that. I don't remember the wattage of the speakers, either. I wish I still had them!
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75496 is a reply to message #75188] Mon, 11 February 2013 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My first stereo was a pink Panasonic boombox with a dual cassette deck. It was awesome and I loved it. Later on I graduated to another Panasonic (not pink this time Razz) with a dual cassette deck, CD player and separate speakers. Clearly I had moved up in the world.
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75696 is a reply to message #75188] Sun, 03 March 2013 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If your first stereo had a CD changer you're too young to be up this late!

First home stereo was a BSR record player and an Olson integrated with Olson speakers.

My very own first was a Garrard Lab 80, Scott 299 Integrated and KLH 17 speakers, all from Allied, ca. 1969.
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75729 is a reply to message #75188] Wed, 06 March 2013 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I think my first experience (you have to be really old to tell this story)was right at the introduction of stereo. We had a mono record player with amp and speaker all in one.

I started looking at the (crystal) cartridge and noticed it had four pins, but only two were being used. I hooked the other two to a radio that had a phono input on the back. The sound was horribly mismatched, but it was stereo.

After that I assembled an EICO tube pre/power amp from a kit with 14 watts per channel. All point to point wiring and discrete components. I bought some Jensen speakers that weren't all that good and a turntable with a ceramic cartridge.

After that I went to a magnetic cartridge and Dual turntable. If memory serves, that turntable had an arm you zero, and then you dialed in the force in fractions of a gram that was applied by a spring. One of their ads showed the turntable playing at a 45 degree angle with the arm playing up hill.

After that it was a regular progression from tubes to transistors, more power, better speakers, more expensive turntables and cartridges.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75730 is a reply to message #75729] Wed, 06 March 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. Really vintage gear. BTW many of the Dual TTs of that era could play upside down if you fastened the LP to the platter. Rolling Eyes They used a spring to provide the down (in this case up) force. Surprisingly accurate too.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75736 is a reply to message #75730] Wed, 06 March 2013 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
They were a big improvement over anything previously available to the consumer. I don't remember them being that expensive either.

I found the whole learning experience exciting. I had friends who would bring records over because they wanted to hear them on a system that sounded good. It really wasn't that good, but this was the time of real transition in music and equipment and most people were just becoming aware.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: What Was Your First Stereo? [message #75830 is a reply to message #75188] Mon, 18 March 2013 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kara is currently offline  Kara
Chancellor
I inherited a turntable in a square case from my gran when I was about ten. Can't recall the brand but I thought it was great to have real records to play with.
Previous Topic: What happened to standards for advertised power?
Next Topic: My Husband's Ear
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:23:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout