Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line?
Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75241] Mon, 14 January 2013 15:44 Go to next message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
I've been reading about the multiple and flanking sub approaches, and I am curious about where you draw the line in terms of how many subs, the price of those subs, and your own budget. What I mean is, for your average Joe income, where would be the point of diminished returns? Obviously, the fewer subs you use, the more money you can put into any one sub. Let's say I can spend up to about $2500 or so on subwoofers alone. I already have the 4 Pi speakers for my 3 mains (home theater), and I already have surrounds. Okay, I'm wanting to replicate real movie theater impact in my living room, so bass is important. How would you distribute this $2500? Two subs in the flanking positions? One monster 18" 'killer' sub front and center?

And let's say I'm trying to create a system to give me great home theater AND a great music experience (I really consider these 2 the same). It's a general movie/music/game entertainment system for general "everything" purpose in your "everyman" living room. lol

Also, I have a receiver with Audyssey calibration already. I'm worried that if I spread my budget out over 3 or 4 subwoofers, I won't have the impact because those subwoofers won't be large enough or dynamic/powerful enough to do the 4Pis justice in terms of theater.

Can you buy two subwoofers and combine the flanking "80-200hz" idea with the summed "20-80hz" idea? It sounds like you would ideally want 2 smaller subs up front with 2 bigger ones farther away if I'm understanding this correctly. But, could you simply get 2 big subs, flank them, and use them for ALL the bass? I feel like I get the theory part, but I'm wondering about money and practicality.

Set me straight guys!! Razz

Thanks!

p.s. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched for it but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Feel free to shoot me a link if this has been done to death! Thanks!
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75245 is a reply to message #75241] Mon, 14 January 2013 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If I have DI-matched two-way speakers, I always start with flanking subs. I mean, you can run the speakers with no subs at all if you're making an apartment system or something like that, but if we're talking stepping up a notch or two, start with flanking subs first. Don't bother with one sub, start with two and set them up flanking the mains. Then add one or two more distributed subs if you have the budget and the space.

There are two setups that don't require flanking subs. One is constant directivity cornerhorns and the other is soffit mounted speakers. Those eliminate the reflection off the rear wall, so the main problem that is mitigated by flanking subs is removed. If you have constant directivity cornerhorns or soffit mounted mains, then just run three or four distributed multisubs.

Flanking subs go in a fixed place, a couple feet below, beside and behind the mains. But distributed subs are a little more flexible. Basically, you just want to put them "around the room" where they break up the modes most effectively. If you have four subs, it almost doesn't matter where you put them, as long as they aren't clusteted together. But the fewer subs you run, the more important their locations become. You might want to use CARA and/or measurements to help you find the best placements for them.
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75246 is a reply to message #75245] Mon, 14 January 2013 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks!

Okay, so I'm thinking: Get the best 2 subs I can afford and flank 'em. Sounds good!

More technical question: Is there a way to use the flanking subs so that above 80hz, they only receive a "copy" of the signal of the flanking main, but below 80hz, they receive the summed bass channel? Is this possible or practical?

Thanks again Wayne!

(still planning on my future mega theater w/ 4Pi mains!)

P.S. I'm the guy that used to get the listener's fatigue really easily with the 2Pi speakers. Problem solved! When I quit working at a factory, my listener's fatigue went away. Wow! Der!!
I wore hearing protection all day, but I guess hearing the constant machinery was just too much. That's my guess anyway. 2Pi sounds great and doesn't fatigue my ears anymore!! Smile Sorry 'bout the fuss! It just never occurred to me. :/
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75247 is a reply to message #75246] Mon, 14 January 2013 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could probably develop a summing filter like that - and it would be useful on any content that wasn't already summed. But there's where you might find the filter is not all that necessary, because most music is already mixed that way. Get your scope out and watch the L/R channels, and you'll see LF is already summed to be the same on both channels in most music.

As for the rest of the channels for home theater, this approach could surely be extended to the rest of the channels but I'm not sure it is warranted. I guess if the budget allows, it couldn't hurt. But I don't think it is as important as the front mains, especially for music.

Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75248 is a reply to message #75247] Mon, 14 January 2013 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ahh...

Just so I understand, to compare this to your "typical" home theater arrangement where only one sub would be used and the receiver would be set to crossover at 80hz... instead, I would use 2 flanking subs and set the crossover (in the receiver) to 100hz or maybe a bit higher? Because I don't have to worry about localization since the subs are close to the speakers? But these 2 subs (since they are my only subs) would ALSO handle all of the bass, period? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Nothing "special" needs to be done to these subs? Like, no special connections between the flanking mains or anything?
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75249 is a reply to message #75248] Mon, 14 January 2013 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, sorry, I wish it were that simple. The LFE output can be used for distributed subs, but it can't be used for flanking subs.

Flanking subs need a low-passed version of the signal sent to the main speaker they're flanking. So you need to run the preamp level output to a plate amp or some other subwoofer amplifier with a built-in or external low-pass filter. Flanking subs work best with relatively gentle slopes like second-order, so an inexpensive 100Hz or 120Hz inline filter can be used to good effect.

Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75256 is a reply to message #75249] Tue, 15 January 2013 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Just when I thought I was understanding this, you had to get all Tony Stark on Captain America here. lol Razz

I'm a little lost now. So in order to do this, does my receiver need pre-amp outs for the left and right mains? Yikes! I hope that isn't the case. My receiver only has speaker-level outs it seems. The sub has a pre-amp out I think. My own sub has an amp built in. I'm not sure how you would implement this flanking configuration with the receiver I have. Am I not understanding this?

Thanks for your patience.
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75257 is a reply to message #75256] Tue, 15 January 2013 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What you need to do is connect to the preamp level outputs on your receiver. Sometimes those are used to connect equalizers and sound processors. The preamp level signal is sent to the subwoofer amp through a low-pass filter. Plate amps usually have low-pass filters built into them.

Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75260 is a reply to message #75257] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ouch. My receiver doesn't have preamp outs. There is a single one for one sub, but the privilege of preamp outputs is reserved for the more expensive units apparently. (Grrr) I'm recommending home theater equipment for my friends who want a nice(r) sound system but I marked "receivers with preamp outs" off the list due to prices.

So, I guess I need to scrap the flanking idea? Is there something else that could be done? Maybe a "next best thing?" Or am I misunderstanding something else? (Could be could be)
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75265 is a reply to message #75260] Tue, 15 January 2013 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Hi j0nny,

A lot of sub plate amps have high-level inputs as well as the normal low-level RCA inputs that connect to an AVR's pre-outs. To use the high-level inputs just connect them in parallel to the same speaker wires as the main L/R speakers. Note unlike an actual speaker, the high level amp inputs have a very high impedance so you don't have to worry about overloading your main speaker's amp.

This is not the ideal way to connect signals to your plate amps, but it beats buying a new receiver or ditching flanking subs all together.
Previous Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:21:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout