Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Amps For Acoustic Guitars
Amps For Acoustic Guitars [message #75109] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:04 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
There are some acoustic guitars out there that can't be amplified, but some of them are actually acoustic/electric, so you can plug an amp into them. Can you use the same amps for these guitars as with electric guitars?
Re: Amps For Acoustic Guitars [message #75111 is a reply to message #75109] Mon, 31 December 2012 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sure there's no problem doing that.
Re: Amps For Acoustic Guitars [message #75119 is a reply to message #75111] Tue, 01 January 2013 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill is right, you sure can. There a few specialized amp combos out there specifically for acoustic guitars, but I've never played through them.
Re: Amps For Acoustic Guitars [message #75158 is a reply to message #75119] Sat, 05 January 2013 11:18 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Playing an acoustic guitar through an electric guitar amp will color the sound in a negative manner, making it sound like a cross between a very bad-sounding acoustic guitar with dead strings, and an electric guitar played clean. On the flip side, an electric guitar played through an acoustic amp sounds very dry, brittle, and thin. This is because amplifiers and speakers for electric and acoustic guitar are voiced differently in every way, from the ground up. An electric guitar amp is purposely designed to implement a certain group of tonal colorations, that collectively achieve the classic, instantly recognizable 'electric guitar tone' that we're all familiar with. OTOH, an acoustic guitar amplifier is designed to achieve a natural and uncolored acoustic guitar sound, while giving you the option of adding some spatial enhancement effects such as reverb and chorus.

Fender's Acoustasonic amplifier line is easily the best selling acoustic amp in the U.S., and also one of the worst sounding. I've played and heard many of the various models, and I recommend passing them by. Carvin makes a decent sounding no-frills acoustic amp, and the higher-end Beringer Ultracoustic and Peavey Ecoustic amps are pretty good. But hands down, no contest, by far the best I've ever heard or used is Trace Elliot. I won't say they sound twice as good as everything else; three times as good is more like it! Unfortunately, the price tag is proportional to the sonic performance, at about 3x what everything else costs.

Thermionic
Previous Topic: EVH Guitars
Next Topic: Recording Electric Guitar Music on My Computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:56:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers