Home » Audio » General » Music as a study aid?
Music as a study aid? [message #74855] Tue, 11 December 2012 06:37 Go to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
I personally can't concentrate when music is playing. There have been countless studies proving the fact that when you listen to music and study you are multitasking, which leads to decreased attention. Yet, countless people swear by it. Why is this?
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #74861 is a reply to message #74855] Tue, 11 December 2012 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
For me, it depends on the type of music that's playing. If it's music with singing in it, I tend to pay more attention to the music. If it's classical music on the other hand, it tends to blend into the background and become a "white noise" of sorts.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #74867 is a reply to message #74861] Wed, 12 December 2012 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
Interesting, when I asked my girlfriend this question she responded more or less along the same lines. In her case, she uses it to block out other sounds which bother her.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #74869 is a reply to message #74867] Wed, 12 December 2012 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
When I was in school, I had a science teacher that always played classical music for us during tests. She said she'd read somewhere that listening to classical music while you're studying or taking a test makes you do better. I don't know if that's true or not, but it was kind of relaxing, regardless.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #74872 is a reply to message #74855] Wed, 12 December 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There is something about classical music that helps you concentrate. You don't have to listen intently for it to effect you and it does relax you.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #77126 is a reply to message #74872] Thu, 04 July 2013 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nisha is currently offline  Nisha
Baron
There is music specifically 'designed' to facilitate learning. It usually works best with headphones as it stimulates certain areas of the brain. For me, I learn the same with or without music. When I really concentrate, all noise and sounds are blocked out.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #77182 is a reply to message #74855] Fri, 12 July 2013 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I tend to concentrate better when music is playing, particularly if there are no lyrics. If there is no music, I find myself distracted by the general silence.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #77213 is a reply to message #77126] Fri, 19 July 2013 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
The way I read the information, you should listen to the music before you study or take a test, not during. Listening does seem to both relax and to help with concentration if "administered" before you do a task, and the effect lasts for some time. But anything during the test or studying is just a distraction, no matter what people say.

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #77225 is a reply to message #74855] Sat, 20 July 2013 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roxxi is currently offline  roxxi
Chancellor
I can study with music on but I can't concentrate if the TV is on (even if it is a music station). I think I tone out the noise but not the picture. I know everyone is different though.
Re: Music as a study aid? [message #77229 is a reply to message #77225] Sun, 21 July 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
I cannot tune music out, unless it's really bad music. I have trouble concentrating on conversations if the music is good. In fact my husband said that one of the first things that made him notice me. He said in a group of friends talking, I just seemed to occasionally check out until a song ended. I try harder in one-to-one conversations.

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Previous Topic: Symphony Orchestra as band
Next Topic: Best Earbuds for Workout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:08:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout