Home » Audio » General » What age for piano lessons?
What age for piano lessons? [message #74759] Thu, 06 December 2012 14:31 Go to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
My mom would like to give my daughter piano lessons for Christmas, but my little girl is not even four yet. I think she is still too young, especially since she rarely sits still. What age do you think is appropriate for music lessons?
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74771 is a reply to message #74759] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would wait at least until five, but depending on your daughter's temperament, seven is a better age. At least that is what I have always read.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74772 is a reply to message #74759] Fri, 07 December 2012 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I wouldn't say that four is too young if she was better able to sit still, but your mom will just be wasting her money if your daughter can't pay attention for a bit.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74818 is a reply to message #74759] Sun, 09 December 2012 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
My daughter has a quiet temperament and I would love for her to take lessons. I think it would be great for her. She's the type who would be able to handle them at 4 or 5 years because she so's quiet and still a lot.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74838 is a reply to message #74759] Sun, 09 December 2012 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
love2play wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 14:31
My mom would like to give my daughter piano lessons for Christmas, but my little girl is not even four yet. I think she is still too young, especially since she rarely sits still. What age do you think is appropriate for music lessons?

If the lessons were short in duration, I don't think there would be an issue with it. I don't think a 3 year-old could sit for an hour long or even a half-hour long lesson, but if they were say, 15 or 20 minutes long, and the teacher specialized in working with young children, I think it would be a great way to help improve her attention span and ability to sit still. Plus, it would teach her to play the piano. Wink
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74847 is a reply to message #74759] Mon, 10 December 2012 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
If I remember correctly Mozart was playing the piano when he was 4.
Age doesn't really matter, the deciding factor is her temperament, and you as her mother are the best judge of that.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74849 is a reply to message #74759] Mon, 10 December 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, what is her personality like? Do you think she could concentrate? You'd also need to find a teacher who knows how to teach to very little kids.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74862 is a reply to message #74759] Tue, 11 December 2012 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
love2play wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 14:31

I don't think it's too young if she's shown some interest in music or in the piano specifically. A good teacher with experience will be able to work around a child's short attention span.
Re: What age for piano lessons? [message #74864 is a reply to message #74759] Tue, 11 December 2012 18:05 Go to previous message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I agree with the others that the most important thing is her attention span. I think anything more than about 20 minutes would probably be too long for a four year old.
Previous Topic: Any Audio DIYer's In Southwest Missouri?
Next Topic: Long lasting MP3 players?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:47:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout