Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Audacity Capabilities
Audacity Capabilities [message #74463] Tue, 13 November 2012 14:10 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How would you rate the capabilities of free programs like Audacity to more professional (but expensive) ones like ProTools? It seems like Audacity has many of the same functions.
Re: Audacity Capabilities [message #74469 is a reply to message #74463] Tue, 13 November 2012 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've used Audacity for PC recording direct of my guitar. Works a treat and there are a ton of sites with info about it. Pro Tools would be the way to go if you have the $$$ though, as it is one of the industry standards.

It's kinda like comparing GIMP and Photoshop in the photography world.
Re: Audacity Capabilities [message #74472 is a reply to message #74463] Wed, 14 November 2012 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
I use Audacity quite a lot, but it's a lot different from multitrack editors like ProTools, Digital Performer, Logic, and even GarageBand. With those tools you can set up a virtual studio with routing and effects applied before the recording... and keep the recording completely separate from the effects. With Audacity, you can only add effects as part of the "destructive editing" process, ie. every effect added changes the track.
Re: Audacity Capabilities [message #74491 is a reply to message #74472] Fri, 16 November 2012 21:47 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Another area where Audacity doesn't cut the mustard is the way it displays VST plug-ins. The plug-in's actual GUI is not shown, instead, its functions are displayed as a list with a corresponding horizontal slider control to the right of each one. Meters, lights, and other features are omitted altogether. It looks and feel rather Windows 3.0-esque. Actually, worse... Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong, I've used Audacity a great deal for certain simple recording tasks, and it has its place. But, when compared to Pro Tools, Cubase, or my beloved Studio One, it falls woefully short in every area.

Thermionic
Previous Topic: Neo-Morpheus Cables
Next Topic: Holophone Mics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:30:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers