Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill
Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #74455] Mon, 12 November 2012 16:26 Go to next message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
Just wanted to share this tip for audiophile newbies...

If you want one of the best bang-for-buck audio "upgrades" available, go to your local thrift store and look for an old receiver from the 1970's and talk them into giving it to you for $20-40.

How do you identify a great one? Beyond the obvious things like "does it work?":

1. They're really heavy! The best receivers have a huge transformer core. Accept nothing under 30 pounds.

2. Look at the model #. The best of the brand-line usually have high numbers like 9001.

3. Once your curiosity is piqued, google the model # on your phone. If it's really a treasure, it'll show up on an audiophile site with raving reviews.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #74477 is a reply to message #74455] Wed, 14 November 2012 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Pick up one of the better model Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, or Pioneer models--recap and you're set if the tuner doesn't need work. They make great second systems.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #74481 is a reply to message #74455] Thu, 15 November 2012 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
Ah, my old haunt Salvation Army, LOL. I've found so much great stuff there over the years. That reminds me that I still have a Sansui QRX-9001 sitting in the garage that I haven't gotten around to testing. (That sucker weighs 50lbs!)

Btw, a similar principle applies to speakers. There are so many speaker manufacturers and levels of quality that it can get hard to keep track of. But as a general rule, the best speakers have a huge magnet and a thick non-resonant cabinet... so they're also absurdly heavy for their size.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #74498 is a reply to message #74481] Sun, 18 November 2012 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I love thrift shops. I have made many scores from them. Two pairs of vintage Altec Lansing Speakers, A pair of Klipsch speakers, a Phillips TT, a Dual TT, a Marantz 2265B receiver, and much more. All at bargain prices.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #74597 is a reply to message #74455] Mon, 26 November 2012 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I would love to find some vintage Altec Lansings! I agree that thrift shops are wonderful places to find old gear to refurbish, although I don't personally have much experience with that yet.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #77369 is a reply to message #74455] Wed, 31 July 2013 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundsensor is currently offline  Soundsensor
Esquire
Thanks for this wonderful tip. I think I'm going to do a little shopping around and see what I can find. There's so many resell thrifts in my neck of the woods.

I will report back here with some of my finds, and maybe ask for a little advice.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #77401 is a reply to message #74455] Sat, 03 August 2013 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I was able to find an Aiwa model# AV-D55U receiver. Not exactly what I would call vintage, but it looks to be in pretty good condition. Pretty heavy, and boasting 100 watts per channel.

I am getting mixed reviews for it online. What do you guys think is a good price for it? The store is asking $25.
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #77404 is a reply to message #77401] Sat, 03 August 2013 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can't go wrong for twenty-five bucks! At that price, you'll spend more money in gas getting the thing from the store! I say go for it - If you don't like it, you aren't out much.

Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #77412 is a reply to message #77404] Sun, 04 August 2013 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
You know, I think you're right. I think I am going to try and get it a bit cheaper though. Not sure if I will have much luck talking him down. There really wasn't very many receivers available in resell shops in my area.

At any rate I think the thing was selling at around $250 new so it's only 10 percent of that.

Thanks for the feed back. Smile
Re: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill [message #77946 is a reply to message #74455] Fri, 27 September 2013 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Fannie is currently offline  Fannie
Chancellor
I love searching thrift shops for great finds. People donate so many things just because they 'inherited' it from someone else. Sometimes your thrift shop doesn't really no what it's worth and then you really get a good deal.
Previous Topic: Necessary skills
Next Topic: Building Your Own Stringed Instrument
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:07:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout