Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Sound or Animation First?
Sound or Animation First? [message #74288] Mon, 29 October 2012 09:38 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
When they make animated movies, do they record the sound first and then draw the mouth movements, or do they draw and then have the actors sync their lines? I'm guessing the latter but don't really know.
Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74290 is a reply to message #74288] Mon, 29 October 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They do both at the same time, using a technique called motion capture. Basically, they record a real actor's motions and use them to create a dot cloud animation. It's a series of points that show where each of their body parts are, forming a mesh. Then this is mapped to an animated character. This way they get realistic body movements and facial expressions. The synchronization of recorded audio is automatic, since it's tied to the movement of the point cloud.

Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74297 is a reply to message #74290] Tue, 30 October 2012 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They can do that now, Wayne, but what did they do before that technology was available? I'm sure there are plenty of animated films that predate it.
Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74317 is a reply to message #74288] Thu, 01 November 2012 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I forgot all about motion capture. Shocked I guess my question still stands for movies made prior to that technology though, as audioaudio90 brought up in her post.
Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74318 is a reply to message #74317] Thu, 01 November 2012 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Motion capture came pretty early on in 3D computer animation technology. There really wasn't much that happened before that, unless you're talking about artists drawing by hand or modeling with clay.

As for 3D computer models, there were some early models that weren't done with motion capture but most were models of machinery and other inanimate objects. As soon as models of living creatures were sought, motion capture was developed. Kind of happened at the same time.

Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74330 is a reply to message #74288] Thu, 01 November 2012 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I would guess that they draw the mouth movements based on the sound. It just sounds easier somehow. I can't really see how they would do it the other way around.
Re: Sound or Animation First? [message #74384 is a reply to message #74318] Mon, 05 November 2012 14:40 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 01 November 2012 10:48

Motion capture came pretty early on in 3D computer animation technology. There really wasn't much that happened before that, unless you're talking about artists drawing by hand or modeling with clay.

As for 3D computer models, there were some early models that weren't done with motion capture but most were models of machinery and other inanimate objects. As soon as models of living creatures were sought, motion capture was developed. Kind of happened at the same time.

Yes, I was referring to older animated movies, since I've been bombarded with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty lately and they were released in 1950 and 1959, respectively.
Previous Topic: Is Bond burned out?
Next Topic: Tangled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:17:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout