Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Suppressing Outside Noise
Suppressing Outside Noise [message #69187] Thu, 25 August 2011 23:11 Go to next message
Yaser is currently offline  Yaser
Chancellor
What should I do in order for me to suppress outside noise, like rain or vehicles passing by? I have this problem when I watch something and the outside noise just disrupts what I'm watching.
Re: Suppressing Outside Noise [message #69218 is a reply to message #69187] Sat, 27 August 2011 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenna is currently offline  Jenna
Esquire
I read somewhere about electronic noise cancellation devices being developed that can be put on walls to stop sounds from passing through them. Currently, there are headsets that can be used to suppress the noise you hear from the outside but it might be annoying to always have to wear a headset!
Re: Suppressing Outside Noise [message #69454 is a reply to message #69187] Sun, 11 September 2011 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DinosaurDance is currently offline  DinosaurDance
Chancellor
Check your windows and doors; they may need new seals, which should help a little with sound and will definitely help with energy costs. Also, get some nice thick drapes that will absorb the outside sounds before they get to you.
Re: Suppressing Outside Noise [message #69464 is a reply to message #69454] Mon, 12 September 2011 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christy is currently offline  Christy
Chancellor
I suggest looking into some heavy duty drapes, preferably a sound proof type. Also try getting some thick styrofoam, and cut it to fit your window exactly. Both should cut down on outside noise.
Re: Suppressing Outside Noise [message #73184 is a reply to message #69187] Mon, 02 July 2012 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mixinlady
Baron
If headphones or other soundproofing methods don't work, you could train yourself to tune light sounds out. I personally am only really bothered by high-pitched sounds that just won't stop.
Re: Suppressing Outside Noise [message #74255 is a reply to message #69187] Thu, 25 October 2012 19:55 Go to previous message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
It's a little difficult to advise on a soundproofing question without some more detail on 1) exactly what kind of sound you want to block out, and 2) what kind of acoustical situation you currently have. If the concern is about the "whoosh" and "shhhh" sounds of cars and rain, then it's a high frequency issue and can be solved by blocking open entry paths like cracks under the door and between window panels. If the problem is more related to booming, shaking, and pounding sounds, then it's a low frequency issue, which is going to involve not only blocking entry paths with lots of mass, but damping and decoupling beams, adding more mass to walls with extra drywall... or just moving to a quieter place. Smile

Previous Topic: Sliding Glass Doors
Next Topic: Any experience with Green Glue?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:53:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio