Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Sliding Glass Doors
Sliding Glass Doors [message #73391] Thu, 26 July 2012 14:26 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Do any of your rooms have sliding glass doors? How does that affect the sound and what do you do about it? I assume you would want some drapes at least.
Re: Sliding Glass Doors [message #73503 is a reply to message #73391] Mon, 06 August 2012 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sliding glass doors are hard surfaces, so they would reflect sounds. Not only that, but I think sound would be more likely to leak into surrounding areas. Drapes would definitely be a good idea, unless you want a live room.
Re: Sliding Glass Doors [message #73817 is a reply to message #73391] Thu, 13 September 2012 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Yes, that was pretty much what I figured. I bought some drapes and holy cow, did they make a difference! I can push them aside if I want a room that is live, but so far I haven't needed to do so.
Re: Sliding Glass Doors [message #74186 is a reply to message #73391] Sat, 20 October 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
I've had sliding glass doors in the past and they're a joy to have. They do indeed reflect noise. I used to have a drum set that was really loud and I would test the sound outside of the house and the glass door kept a lot of it inside.
Re: Sliding Glass Doors [message #74220 is a reply to message #74186] Mon, 22 October 2012 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
When recording drums, the sliding glass door is no longer a negative. Most of the time I think drums sound much better in a very live room.
Re: Sliding Glass Doors [message #74249 is a reply to message #73391] Wed, 24 October 2012 22:43 Go to previous message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
As a more general answer to your question of "what effect to sliding glass doors have"...

Besides reflecting upper frequencies, they're also very good at removing bass frequencies and softening any "bass boom" effect.

You can confirm this simply by listening from the other side to what's getting through. ie. you will hear lots of bass, some mids, and very little high frequencies.
Previous Topic: Bass transmitting to an adjacent house
Next Topic: Suppressing Outside Noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:16:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout